Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:04 PM   #1

Default Is anyone planning on shooting NASA's moon bombings tomorrow?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ter-crash.html

I wish I had a "Bigma".

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:13 PM   #2

Actually a Bigma won't really do it.

The art of astrophotography calls for an entirely different 'outlook'.
Probably the best way to capture what is going to happen on the moon-provided the skies are clear- is to mount a camera to a telescope with the aid of adapters.

Having said that, I've just told you everything I know about the subject.
If you run a google search on astrophotography you'll come up with all kinds of information as well as how to use an adapter to connect your dslr to a telescope.

I was, at one time, thinking that might be something I wanted to get involved in. then ran a search and found out it was more than I wanted to do.

By the way, I've bought merchandise from Orion.com They provide everything and anything having to do with gazing at the stars and moon.
They have some information on their site as well.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:26 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Looking at the link you posted they are suggesting a 10 inch telescope which (with my limited knowledge) I believe well be about 2500mm, that's a pretty chunky lens. Not to mention the solid tripod you are going to want to go with that when using such focal lengths.

If anyone has some serious kit I would be interested to see what is captured.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 5:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Actually a Bigma won't really do it.

The art of astrophotography calls for an entirely different 'outlook'.
Probably the best way to capture what is going to happen on the moon-provided the skies are clear- is to mount a camera to a telescope with the aid of adapters.

Having said that, I've just told you everything I know about the subject.
If you run a google search on astrophotography you'll come up with all kinds of information as well as how to use an adapter to connect your dslr to a telescope.

I was, at one time, thinking that might be something I wanted to get involved in. then ran a search and found out it was more than I wanted to do.

By the way, I've bought merchandise from Orion.com They provide everything and anything having to do with gazing at the stars and moon.
They have some information on their site as well.
Zig
Thanks for the very useful info Zig! Phew! That's the way more difficult then I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Looking at the link you posted they are suggesting a 10 inch telescope which (with my limited knowledge) I believe well be about 2500mm, that's a pretty chunky lens. Not to mention the solid tripod you are going to want to go with that when using such focal lengths.

If anyone has some serious kit I would be interested to see what is captured.
2500mm!!! I was wondering what kind of lens to be used. Thanks Mark! Somehow, I thought some of you guys pulled off that easily as I have seen pretty decent moon shots in the forum.

Thanks again guys!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:35 PM   #5

For those who have a telescope and a tripod and would like to try their hand at photographing the moon tomorrow, here is a link to an article regarding how to use almost any camera along with a telescope.

It's fairly straightforward and looks like it's worth trying. also, here is an application where liveview would really be an asset.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/ASTRO/ASTRO.HTM
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:47 PM   #6

We've got some serious storms coming through here tonight and into tomorrow, so the moon will be a no-go from this part of the country.

There's a guy who posts over at DPReview who uses the handle OLYNAZ. He does some really nice work with dedicated astro-digital cameras.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29854539

There's a good, but technical discussion about the equipment used for this type shooting in that link.

I would imagine he'll have his gear trained on this if the sky permits.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:55 AM   #7

I watched it live on NASA TV on the web as it was about 10PM out time. I couldn't even spot the impact on their own telescopes and cameras !!
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote