Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:25 PM   #11

.......I am still sweating the thought I might be able to get there too, but likely only Sunday if at all, Saturday is not in the question pool, I'm not mentioning Sat again.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 4:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post
.......I am still sweating the thought I might be able to get there too, but likely only Sunday if at all, Saturday is not in the question pool, I'm not mentioning Sat again.
Do you still have the game in Midland?

That's a haul, going there and back over a day or two. I actually called my GF and asked if she'd be interested in going, then sat back hoping she'd say no, which she did. I have a feeling I would be moving around the grounds more than she would care to do.

I was playing around with the idea of getting the EC20 before next weekend...still might, then I got home last night and had a bill from the hospital from my knee surgery for $6,800! After pulling out all the insurance docs it turned out the hospital had submitted duplicate charges to the insurance company, then when they only were paid once they billed me for the duplicates. Until I saw the error, I felt like I was going to have a stroke from my suddenly elevated blood preasure.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:28 AM   #13

Greg,

.......yes, Midland is this weekend, 6-hours home to field, we will go Friday, play Fri night, stay over and back home Sat.

It is a long haul alright but for baseball we do Midland & Lubbock the same weekend which is a really long trip.

Glad you got the med billing resolved............... that done how about maybe a 300mm to go in front of the EC-20.

I've taken to carrying just a small shoulder bag that only holds the E-3, 50-200 or 70-300 and 14-54......end pockets for batteries etc and a main front side pocket where I stash candy, energy bars, trail mix etc. The bag was once our small camcorder bag, now my go everywhere hanger, AND because it is so worn, IT LOOKS GOOD which we all know is an important gear factor.

So mounting one long lens to the E-3 and the other in the bag makes the carry reasonable with the 70-300 being lightweight as it is. Another lighweight option I have with this setup is to mount the 14-54 to the E-300 in the bag instead of the 70-300. I did that at the B-17 shoot last year.

Gotta run, I am beginning to talk myself into finding a way to go to the show.......
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 15, 2009 at 7:11 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:51 PM   #14

Well, I don't need to think about taking the 70-300 now.....I just pulled the trigger on the EC20 through B&H with over night shipping, so I should have it no later than Wednesday.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:02 PM   #15

I'm going to be very interested in how you find the EC-20's performance as compared to the EC-14. I keep thinking that I could use it with the 50-200mm for birding. But, I've ready too many, so-so performance reviews that I've become a bit gunshy.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:48 PM   #16

It's definitely a lot of magnification. Hopefully we have a nice, sunny day at the air show because I plan to just use it handheld. I would bet using it off a tripod like you do a lot with your bird shooting the results would be great.

This combination goes beyond the longest focal length I have ever used, which was the Canon 100-400L on a 10D, which gave an effective FL of 640mm.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:39 AM   #17

............wouldn't it be a great 12-60 setup for size/weight? Oh and the 40-150,
Lookout Stars!

---------------------------------------------------

The whole weekend is forecast BRIGHT & clear.

Who's going to be there from this am paper .. http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/1697200.html

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 20, 2009 at 7:51 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 8:50 AM   #18

Excellent story, Bob. Thanks. I forwarded that one on to my daughter who will be in that profession as of next year.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:38 AM   #19

Ya gotta luv B&H....the EC20 arrived at 10:30am and looks like one nice little piece. I'll have to try a few images with it and the 50-200 a little later today.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:24 PM   #20

Would the EC20 (or any other teleconverter) impact shutter speed and aperture performance of any given lens? (ie. turn a f2.8 lens into a f3.5). Seems to easy to slap on one of those things to double up focal length
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote