Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:11 PM   #1

Default Still a few weeks of blooms left down here

Until we have a freeze, there'll still be color here to shoot, but the days are probably numbered. Nice, cool and overcast today, it was great weather and light for shooting these with the E620 and the 50-200 SWD.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2009, 7:24 PM   #2

Very nice, Greg-

Wonderful work. Did you use low gradation, again. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:29 PM   #3

Hi Sarah. Thank you.

I captured these RAW. The JPEG's posted here were created in Adobe Camera RAW/Photoshop CS4.

While I processed the above images in Photoshop, I did go back and ran several from today through Studio using the Low Gradation setting and loaded them to a folder where I have several low gradation samples. Olympus Studio is kind-of like shooting JPEG, but with the convenience of having the RAW file. Once loaded and in Studio, you can mimic the camera settings, changing any settings you'd like and output a file similar to what the camera would produce, including the great colors.

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...76685415_nVuvv

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 11, 2009 at 1:26 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:30 AM   #4

Nice shots Greg. Do I understand that the settings made in Studio overwrite any of the settings envoked in-camera when shooting RAW? If so that is a nice tool.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbines View Post
Nice shots Greg. Do I understand that the settings made in Studio overwrite any of the settings envoked in-camera when shooting RAW? If so that is a nice tool.
Absolutely. The RAW converter is set up pretty much just like the camera in terms of the parameter options. I can leave my E620 set to Normal Gradation and leave sharpening, contrast, etc all set to zero, then make any changes to a RAW file I like in Studio as you have the option of switching anything as all the cameras' options are there to play with, including the art filters if you want to just see what they would look like.

In addition to the parameters you can select in-camera, Studio's RAW converter also offers many options other programs do, like the ability to use a curves adjustment, cropping, etc. The main shortfall of Studio is in the ability to retrieve clipped highlights. Olympus needs to add an option like the Retrieval slider Adobe Camera RAW offers. I often will use both programs because I know I can use ACR and get clipped highlights back that Studio just cannot deal with.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:49 AM   #6

Interesting features. Sounds like you like Studio. When you develop the RAW intially in Studio can you save the changes and then reopen in ACR for highlight recovery? Sound to me if you were going to use Studio for post processing it would be best to just leave all of the in-camera settings at their default values.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbines View Post
Interesting features. Sounds like you like Studio. When you develop the RAW intially in Studio can you save the changes and then reopen in ACR for highlight recovery? Sound to me if you were going to use Studio for post processing it would be best to just leave all of the in-camera settings at their default values.
You definitley can leave several options at their default levels in-camera, concentrate on composition, metering/exposure and get the other details right later in Studio

Where files have clipped information that requires the use of something other than Studio, ACR opens RAW files with no parameters applied so nothing you do to a file in Studio's RAW converter will show on the RAW file when opened in Adobe Camera RAW. Like-wise in Studio so the two really cannot be used together to produce a combined output other than you using the two programs to produce separate JPEG or TIFF files that could then be combined using layers and layer masks in Photoshop.

The problem you run into doing that is the colors will most likely not match exactly. Looking at the two images separately you don't see as big a difference as you might in combining two files produced in different programs.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:50 PM   #8

Gorgeous images!

Thanks for the post processing tips too! I just started experimenting the graduation settings yesterday btw.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote