Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:37 PM   #1

Default that time again.. what would you like to see in an E4/E5

Hi Guys/Gals

i thought I'd kick start the good old, E1/3 etc camera update thread, esp as the E3 will be nearly 2 years old come this December !

My personal thoughts are that Oly does need to release and update the E3 - whether they call it an E3+, E4 or E5. It needs to be more than the E3 with E30 parts like quiet a few ppl on the various forums have stated. Also Oly needs to release an update either this year or early Jan/feb 2010, otherwise i can see this possibly running into another E1 update saga.

So what would you like to see in an E3 update ? My personal updates:

1. A new sensor or possibly a tweaked version of the G1H sensor - with the various ratio's that sensor allows. Nice to have better high ISO and improved DR.
2. Weak AA filter like EP1
3. The Ep1's truepic engine or an improved tweaked version.
4. Improved AF system - has to be an improvement over the E3's and the E30's. They made some nice improvements on the E30's but it needs to be a step up from the E30's - faster and more accurate, with better contrast detection for LV.
5. Dual CF and SD card - XD card has to go.
6. Improved LCD - 900k or higher resolutions.
8. AF- Assist lamp. I miss this on the E3 and I'm sure its one reason why the E3s AF in low light has been poor.
9. Fix the Eye cup falling off issue - it comes off way to easily.
10. Redesigned battery grip - the E3's is just wrong or am I the only one who thinks its too uncomfortable or awkward to hold?
11. Provide DNG as well as ORF RAW files - Pentax, Leica have done this and I think it would be a really cool if Oly did the same.
12. MF confirmation for non 4/3 lenses.

I think the E3's size and overall ergonomics are just fine , although if it was made slightly smaller that would be still be ok with me.

If the e3+/4/5 is an e30 with bits of the ep1 then I wouldn't see the point in updating from my E3 - its still a prettyfine camera and I doubt I really push it to the limit as it is. However, it the update was significant and included much of the above I'd be looking at getting the update but unlike last time, I'll be waiting for the 2nd or 3rd batch of cameras!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:17 PM   #2

Hi Harj,

Having just recently upgraded to the E-30, I'm not sure if I would upgrade anytime soon regardless how good the next Olympus flagship dslr will be. But these are some of the features/improvements I'd want that I don't
have now in the E-30.

AF assist lamp.

2 CF Cards for image storage rather than the XD & CF card. If there's not enough physical real estate, then 2 SD card slots. I want the memory cards to be the same not different cards types- very annoying.

Continue with weatherproofing. (E-30 doesn't have it now)

Continue with a 12.3MP sensor as I think that is more than enough pixels per inch. But continue to improve the dynamic rnage.

Low light performance with noise continues to be an issue for anyone using an E-30 or E-3. A True pic engine with improved low light/ high ISO performance-has got to be developed and included in this new dslr. Otherwise don't bother releasng anything.

AF performance on my E-30for me has not been an issue yet. Having said that, I don't do a lot of sports/action photography. For birds, I'd rather see Olympus release a longer zoom lens with better performance than the Sigma 50-500mm lens.

Back lit function buttons as found in the E-620. But expand this feature to all the buttons. I do a lot of low light/
night shooting. This feature alone might compel me to upgrade.

A DVD video should be packaged along with each dslr explaining in detail each of the features found in the new camera. It should include tutorials on how to make setting changes and the proper steps to take in digging deep thru the menu. The Oly manuals are very basic and tough to wade through.

I'll probably come up with some more. But that's all I can think of at the moment.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:03 AM   #3

I would like to see an improved design of the LCD monitor case as Olympus did it for the E-30.

E-3

E-30: the position of the screws and the indentation part which you hook your nails on are moved to the center. Now, the LCD monitor cover won't come out easily.

Also, I would like to see a much sturdier axis of rotation like the E-30.

E-3: looks a bit thin

E-30: Looks much sturdier

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:06 PM   #4

Default The good part is I don't need...

This is pic 10,003 from my E-3. Its taken a year and a half to get there. I still have another 140,000 to go to reach MTBF for the shutter. Hmmm, 20 years from now I'll NEED to get a camera.

My E-3 is only just getting started. Its a great camera. Not perfect, but a great camera. The next E-x camera will have to offer something special for my photography for me to even consider it.

I guess I envy the technology of the top Nikons with their color tracking AF system. The AF systems of both Canon and Nikon outpace the Oly at this time, especially C-AF. That is the number one boost I could use, and the one that would stand the best chance of getting me to pull the plastic from my wallet.

I'm also up for more frames/second, but that is a minor thing. I doubt I'd buy simpliy for that, but I do use rapid fire mode more than most.

The AF assist is a no-brainer for this level of camera. The decision to not include it would be dumb.

More DR.... Sure. I shoot alot when lighting is harsh and I'll take all the headroom I can get. Same goes for high ISO performance, why not. I'm not expecting miracles though. If those were my most important criteria, I'd have already gone full frame.

As long as the Zuikos mount up, I likely stick with the E-x cameras. I'm not sure it will remain my ONLY camera, but I don't see washing out of the system either. I like their glass too much. Its rare to open up a pic and be stunned with some lens induced abberation with the Zuikos. They are consistantly good through all their ranges and are the reason I'm still shooting Olympus. Improvements in their bodies would be a bonus, but the E-3 IS good enough.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:51 AM   #5

Personally I'm very happy with my E-3 and I would buy a new model if and only if it provided an ISO 3200 as good as the E-3's 800 (i.e. 2 stops more useable ISO). Everything else noted above would be important but not enough to get me to upgrade.

I do chuckle at the folks over in DPR who are saying that they'll switch to FF if Oly doesn't release a new E-X immediately. Given Oly's f/2 SHG zooms, I would need a FF cam that gives me 3 stops more ISO since the FF zooms are one stop slower at best.

One think not mentioned so far is video. In the (tiresome) DPR threads on that subject, folks are pretty much split. One camp says why not since it's fairly easy to do (Panny is doing it), it gives me a capability I would use, and without it Oly won't remain competitive. The other camp says I use a DSLR for still photography and if I want a video cam I'll buy a video cam. Clearly all of us who have commented in this thread so far, are in the latter camp.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
One think not mentioned so far is video. In the (tiresome) DPR threads on that subject, folks are pretty much split. One camp says why not since it's fairly easy to do (Panny is doing it), it gives me a capability I would use, and without it Oly won't remain competitive. The other camp says I use a DSLR for still photography and if I want a video cam I'll buy a video cam. Clearly all of us who have commented in this thread so far, are in the latter camp.

Ted
I fall into this camp. I really don't need video capabilities in my dslr. It's not anything that I feel I'm missing in the E-30. I do feel that I'm missing
better High ISO performance, though. That, and an AF assist.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:35 PM   #7

Hi Guys

Been away a while so catching up on some threads.
Like this 1

My desires for the Ex is

Iso 1600 as good as 800 the now, also better dynamic range.

15MB ccd would be helpful. not essential.

1080p Video Yes I would like this. but if I press the shutter button it also takes a picture as a raw file like canon. This would be great for wedding speeches and dancing.

Diffrest AF modes, as the Olympus like a lot of others fails in low light.

yes a 900K screen would be good as all other high end manufatures are doing this.

Keep CF card slot duel if possible, not throughing away my cards lol.

Weather seald a must.

caps attached to body someway like nikon. as it is to easy to lose flash sync, and remote caps, and the top flash caps give us about 5 I keep loseing those lol.

Keep built in Flash very handy.

user define file system. ie xxDDMMYY+I, x is any charictar, dd is day, mm month, yy year,I is increment. be able to put in any order or miss out totally ect.

built in shutter release timer. for time lapse photography.

Hud style viewfinder overlays.

Olympus have a loyal core but if they don't address some of the issues then they may lose out, when some beginers start to move into amature to pro cameras that they do not leave the olympus brand. It is so tempting some times to move over for better iso ect.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote