Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:28 PM   #11

Hi zig: just like old times, it's good to see your bird photos again.
Always enjoyable and a visual pleasure to view!

It's also nice to be reminded that such small birds exist. (All the birds in my back yard weigh 10+ pounds and stand a least two feet tall.)

Yours are very colorful and a great variety. You always do a good job!

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:06 PM   #12

Thanks to all for all the kind comments.

Ya gotta stop it 'cause my head is starting to swell.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 5:21 AM   #13

Fantastic captures.
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:11 PM   #14

I just re-read your initial thread as I was showing the pictures to someone... you're shooting through a window? Any specific on how you get your window to be clear for the shot (other than a bit of elbow grease)?
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
I just re-read your initial thread as I was showing the pictures to someone... you're shooting through a window? Any specific on how you get your window to be clear for the shot (other than a bit of elbow grease)?

Hi,

This is the set up I use in my office:

I found that by adding a colored mat board in black, it reduced the reflection of the glass as well as reduced incidental reflections from other light sources.

If you notice the placement of my chair, you'll see that I'm actually sitting in the closet. 2reasons; first, the birds are less anxious when they can't see me as well and second, the angle at which the lens is focusing through the storm window all but eliminates spots, dust, etc from being picked up by the lens.

Oh, and yes, Windex is the preferred glass cleaner.

My wife, kids and friends all think I'm nuts but I find it's an effective method of taking photos of birds from such a short distance that would be almost impossible.

If you're interested, here's a link to some additional photos:

http://zig123.smugmug.com/Nature/bir...82381110_WZnQo

All of the images were taken with either an E-510 or the E-30 equipped with a 50-200mm lens ED version.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:42 PM   #16

Cool. I was starting to research how to attract specific bird species and where I was going to put my feeder.

Since you have answered my question about maintaining window clarity, this opens up options I didn't know I had in regards to feeder position. I was wondering about how weather would affect this!

I have the 70-300/E-620 combo thus having the feeder a tad further away shouldn't hinder my chances at getting good pictures.

The only thing I have to look out for is the squirrels. You have issues with them where you're at?
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:46 PM   #17

The 70-300mm should be fine since it's sweet range is between 70 and 125mm. With 100mm being (IMHO) the sharpest. If you put together a setup similar to the one I use, that focal range will serve you well as you can shoot wide open and get fairly sharp results.

The one item that needs pointing out is in low light, the lens wants to rack thru the entire focal range which used to drive me crazy. In those situations, I set the AF/MF switch found on the lens to MF and manually focused the lens. Once there was enough light, I went back to auto focus.
Another point I should mention. I have used the on board flash as well as an FL-36 flash unit with good results. But I just prefer natural light and generally don't use any artificial light.

Weather; The weather doesn't bother the birds. They'll come in droves on snowy or rainy days. The rain drops on the windows do make photographing birds really tough. So on those days I skip it.

As for squirrels, yes we have plenty of them. But they have yet to figure out how to get to the feeder. The feeder is suspended about 10" away from the house on an iron bar. My office is directly above my garage making the feeder about 12ft off the ground. The squirrels eat what falls on the ground but haven't tried to attack the feeder(yet).

Zig

Last edited by zig-123; Oct 19, 2009 at 4:49 PM.