Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:25 PM   #1

Default Dallas vs. Boston- NHL Action with the E620

Upper deck, row K, seat 11, which was 2 seats in the wrong direction as some plexiglass partially blocked my field of view of one net areas, but still had a good time.

These were processed in Adobe Camera RAW and CS4 after being shot using the 40-150mmf4-5.6, ISO 1600, 1/640 sec at f5.6. I saw a couple of guys with longer lenses, so my next trip I plan to see if I can get in with the 70-300 and not have to crop files as much as I did with some of these.

I shot this one to get an image of the press guy shooting from the hole in the glass and using the huge strobes in the ceiling..

This guy was also just *a little* closer than me, although I liked my angle of view better..

Some action in the corner..

Last one....for Zig, even though I know he saw this earlier..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:03 PM   #2

Thanks Greg,

The last shot, as you mentioned elsewhere, is really a great example of how much an improvement Olympus has made to dynamice range in the new E-620 and E-30 E series cameras.
As always, your sport action shots are a pleasure to view.

P.S. I also like the score
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:49 AM   #3

........I know 'zilch' about hockey! I've never seen a live game at any level of the sport.

It seems to me that the action pace would be very challenging unless one knows the game flow, the 40-150 worked well here and the 70-300 would undoubtedly be a fun shooter.

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 18, 2009 at 1:34 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:45 AM   #4

Hockey is such a cool and entertaining game - whether its ice or field hockey it is a fab sport!

Greg, fab shots and I like the pp of the files - just spot on and did you need to run them thro NN ? Are you having to heavily crop the files or just slightly ? It'd be interesting to see what the files are like with the 70-300.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:07 AM   #5

Great shots! Dynamic and so clean! Excellently done!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:20 PM   #6

Nice shots!
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hockey is such a cool and entertaining game - whether its ice or field hockey it is a fab sport!

Greg, fab shots and I like the pp of the files - just spot on and did you need to run them thro NN ? Are you having to heavily crop the files or just slightly ? It'd be interesting to see what the files are like with the 70-300.

Cheers

Harj

Thanks, Harj.

I did run these through a Noiseware Professional Photoshop plugin I have in CS4 after conversion, using a "weaker noise reduction" preset. I then used the "Fade" option in the Edit menu of Photoshop to reduce that effect even more to taste...to around 75% in most cases.

In a few cases the cropping was substantial. For what these are being used for (my entertainment) it works great, but I'd still like to get closer up front and the 70-300 would definitely do that at twice the reach.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote