Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:33 PM   #1

Default That Does It.... I need serious HELP!!!!

(if there is an ad, I don't endorse it.)

What I did in the following post...

Last edited by fldspringer; Oct 17, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:43 PM   #2

Default I went and did it.

I just pressed the "Buy" button on a refurb 7-14.

I've never been comfortable with the 11-22, and now I did this??? Anyone recommend a good shrink

Well, I think I can't get stung too badly at the price I paid. If I don't get along with it, I should be able to wash out of it and get at least a lion's share of the investment back.

I don't have photoshop. Will I need it? I've had trouble with taking big bites of sky with the 11-22 and balance the highlights and shadows. I suppose ESP metering is the way to go?

Man, telephoto man is out of his element BIG TIME!!!

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Oct 17, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:44 AM   #3

It IS very much a fun lens, but does require the right kind of subject or, maybe better said, the right use of the lens with a subject you plan to shoot with it. At 7mm, it can make a landscape look 100 miles away without something interesting in the foreground. I took some images with one I never could have shot without it and am glad I had access to one my first trip to Paris.

About 9-10 months after returning from that trip I simply found I was not using it enough to justify keeping a lens that cost that much and sold it on eBay at a price that made my net investment over the 13 months or so I had it very reasonable for the use I got out of it on that one trip alone. If I took trips like the one to France back in 2006 more often than I do, I probably would have kept it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:57 AM   #4

Congratulations Greg,

Based on what you regularly post using the 50-200mm, I am looking forward to seeing your posts with the 7-14mm.

Now, if you happen to see a 35-100mm f2.0 at a good price let me know

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:08 AM   #5

Hi Greg,

The secret to ultra wides is getting up close, that is where they really excell!! I have been using a Tokina 11-16 for almost a year now and it stays on my camera 90% of the time.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It IS very much a fun lens, but does require the right kind of subject or, maybe better said, the right use of the lens with a subject you plan to shoot with it. At 7mm, it can make a landscape look 100 miles away without something interesting in the foreground. I took some images with one I never could have shot without it and am glad I had access to one my first trip to Paris.

About 9-10 months after returning from that trip I simply found I was not using it enough to justify keeping a lens that cost that much and sold it on eBay at a price that made my net investment over the 13 months or so I had it very reasonable for the use I got out of it on that one trip alone. If I took trips like the one to France back in 2006 more often than I do, I probably would have kept it.
Hi Greg,

I've heard the lens has a wicked learning curve. I'm sure it will take me longer than most. Its so rare for me to shoot wider than 50mm. It may put me in some sort of brain strain to get the concept.

I guess I'll just start by putting the sun at my back and the tele stuff locked back at the car and see what happens.

Greg
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Congratulations Greg,

Based on what you regularly post using the 50-200mm, I am looking forward to seeing your posts with the 7-14mm.

Now, if you happen to see a 35-100mm f2.0 at a good price let me know

Zig
Its due for delivery Friday, so next weekend I may get the chance to take it out in the field. I'm not expecting miracles, though. I'm sure it will take some getting used to.

As to the 35-100, you won't get mine. Even though the 50-200 is my most used, the 35-100 may be my most loved. That sucker is stunning and I doubt I'll ever let it go. I posted a pic in the pet forum of my boy Rum in the water yesterday that is from the 35-100. I'll keep it as long as I can carry it.

BTW, the f2 viewfinder is a treat with that quality of glass. The first time I mounted that lens and put the camera to my face.... Woaaahhh.

Greg
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammitt View Post
Hi Greg,

The secret to ultra wides is getting up close, that is where they really excell!! I have been using a Tokina 11-16 for almost a year now and it stays on my camera 90% of the time.
I'm interested in seeing what I actually do shoot with that lens. I've seen many shots with it that I really liked, but many I don't see myself shooting.

I may take a trip to Chicago and try some archetecture, but its certainly out of my elements. I'm much more comfortable with soil under my feet.

Thanks for the assist. I'll need more help shortly....

Greg
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post

I may take a trip to Chicago and try some archetecture, but its certainly out of my elements. I'm much more comfortable with soil under my feet.

Greg
That would definitely be a great place to start with the 7-14! I need to get back there myself. The summer I took my daughter was the year Mellenium Park opened. The Peanut is definitely a subject you could study in an infinite number of angles with the reflections and the 7-14. Wrigley Field's front facade, the city from the top of the Hancock Building, all the beautiful older buildings....that's a wonderful city I would love to go back to on my own and just spend 3-4 days walking the streets and doing my own thing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post

As to the 35-100, you won't get mine. Even though the 50-200 is my most used, the 35-100 may be my most loved. That sucker is stunning and I doubt I'll ever let it go. I posted a pic in the pet forum of my boy Rum in the water yesterday that is from the 35-100. I'll keep it as long as I can carry it.

BTW, the f2 viewfinder is a treat with that quality of glass. The first time I mounted that lens and put the camera to my face.... Woaaahhh.

Greg
Hey Greg

That was beautifully said... .... Even after nearly having mine for two years it still makes me grin like a chesire cat.

The 7-14 lens... I've seen some wonderful shots with that lens inc. Greg's from Paris, so happy shooting once you get your mitts on it!

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote