Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:30 PM   #1

Default Ancient Oaks

is the name of the area I just moved into, this past week. Many suburban areas have goofy names that are unrelated to the area (like Meadow View where the meadow is long gone, overcome by houses accompanied by major non-meadow landscaping).

But this area really has beautiful, ancient oaks. Here's a shot of my house. Not very good - this is facing south at the end of the day after coming home from work. But the oak trees you see over my house are over 100' high and well over 100 years old. I'm really enjoying them.

Ted

PS: Taken with the Oly 11-22mm.
Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:04 PM   #2

......I like trees, especially old trees. At 100' I would have an antenna in there right off.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:05 PM   #3

Default Congrats

Hi Ted,
Congrats on your new digs. Looks like a very country type environment.

BTW, with trees like that surrounding your home I bet there are a lot of little birds flying around just looking for someone to take a shot of them (with their camera)

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
......I like trees, especially old trees. At 100' I would have an antenna in there right off.
Um, an antenna for what? (grin) And who would climb up there to install it?

Ted
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,
Congrats on your new digs. Looks like a very country type environment.

BTW, with trees like that surrounding your home I bet there are a lot of little birds flying around just looking for someone to take a shot of them (with their camera)

Zig
Actually no - I'm realizing that tall trees don't feed birds. And there isn't much plant life down below to feed them - I'll be putting out bird seed just on general principle. But facing south is gonna be a real photographic challenge - maybe you can come out here and give me exposure advice. (grin)

Ted
Old Oct 20, 2009, 8:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Um, an antenna for what? (grin) And who would climb up there to install it?
.....talking wire and slingshot. What for? I've brought WD5DHF back to life (just the radio equip NOT the wallpaper) , a 40M (7.0 MHZ), 130 ft wire would work, especially from 100+ altitude, hi hi.

Ham Radio station WD5DHF circa 1978
Attached Images

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
.....talking wire and slingshot. What for? I've brought WD5DHF back to life (just the radio equip NOT the wallpaper) , a 40M (7.0 MHZ), 130 ft wire would work, especially from 100+ altitude, hi hi.

Ham Radio station WD5DHF circa 1978
Ooookaaay. I did ham decades ago, as a young guy. But why is it better than the Internet now? Just wondering.

Ted

PS: In the house I grew up in, in a suburb of Chicago, the neighbor behind us had installed a very, very, very tall telephone pole (he worked for the local phone company) with a motorized rail that moved a 5-element beam ham antenna up and down. He had a lot of range with that. So during the Cuban missile crisis (I'm dating myself here) he picked up a message from some Cubans in a boat trying to get to Florida, who were in trouble. He radioed the Coast Guard in Forida who rescued them, and he got a commendation from the Coast Guard. I was impressed - it sure beat the wire antenna I had going across our backyard!

But still - do people do ham anymore?

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 20, 2009 at 4:45 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:50 PM   #8

[QUOTE=tkurkowski;1011232]Ooookaaay. I did ham decades ago, as a young guy. But why is it better than the Internet now? Just wondering.

Cause they can use them to radio messages to those that can pick em up ....LOL I am wired up with in as well...every one says they can not hear them but I sure can.... and its war time ta da.... so with radio it can confuse the heck out of those that do have their ears on listening to what ever is out on the waves of air.....and to tell the truth it hurt like heck when they started it was a part of the cold war and as long as they have those still walking the face of earth with any kind of metal on there person metals that pick up that is they can cause just as much hell as any one out there that is causeing it as well NO WAR is my choice but well there are those that are for it balance......
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 4:40 PM   #9

They are really big trees! Excellent! I love big and old trees. Looks like a peaceful place!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
They are really big trees! Excellent! I love big and old trees. Looks like a peaceful place!

- Hiro
Thanks, Hiro

It is a beautiful place.

Ted