Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:32 AM   #11

Hi Greg!

Some really fab images there .. esp no 3 which is just a cracker of a shot! Looks as if the Ec20 and 50-200 is a superb combo - really niec detail in all of the shots. Were there any WWII planes at the show ?

My first visit to Duxford I did the same as you Greg (the crowds were huge)and left early - only to see one of the most impressive fly pasts of every plane at the show as I was driving back on the motorway! This year though i stayed to the end, partly because the airbase was giving traffic warnings being issued by the police and I'm glad I did. I still got stuck in a major traffic jam on the way back but it was pretty much worth it.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:07 AM   #12

Oh my!! ..........what a day it was, after 20 days of no sun and going back to that (and RAIN!) beginning late today, yesterday was so light perfect. At about 0800 I was still considering going if only until noon-30 or so, but in the end faced my real responsibilities for the day.

I too would have voted to leave when you did knowing the I-35W instant buildup. My son lives about 5 minutes from Alliance & TMS, I was once caught up in TMS race day traffic, not a pleasant experience.................

But, glad you were there, these photo show amazing focus, sharpness, color, etc. attributes........ now here is a question.

Did you attempt any shutter priority at under 1/200 - 300 sec. when shooting the prop driven planes?

Glad you are back in town......... boBB

ps... gotta pic a fav of these! Mine is the A-10 WART, it is superb in detail sharpness. Whatta ride that must be.

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 25, 2009 at 3:16 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:15 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Looks like a great day out and that the lens did a good job.

My fave is the A10, but this is always going to be the case as it is my fave aircraft!!

Some great action with the aerobatic shots with the smoke etc and the lighting has allowed for some wonderful colours to be captured, just a real shame that the shutter speed was too high so the props are pretty well frozen.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:32 AM   #14

[QUOTE=boBBrennan;1012837]

Did you attempt any shutter priority at under 1/200 - 300 sec. when shooting the prop driven planes?
QUOTE]

I know, I should have at least tried a few to give it a go. With that teleconverter and zoomed to 200mm, the magnification is quite extreme. Took me a little while just getting the timing of my panning down to keep the images framed as closely as I did. Just as I was getting comfortable with the prop-driven planes, the jets came out and took it to a whole other level.

Knowing f7 was wide open, I used ISO 400 and aperture priority set to f7 to keep the shutter speeds as fast as possible figuring most issues people have with the EC20 is soft images due to insufficient shutter speeds for the focal lengths you wind up shooting at.

Even so, I should have tried ISO 100 or 200, setting an aperture of f11 or so and using the panning IS setting to try it, but I didn't.

My second show....the next time, I will know more about what i want to do.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I'm impressed with the shutter speed you were able to muster at f7. You have me thinking about the EC-20.

Were you using support on the camera? Monopod? I guess it wouldn't be necessary at those shutter speeds.

Greg (Northern)
Hi, Greg.

I saw some cameras out there mounted on tripods, but they must have been concentrating on some other type of shooting.

Now that I've done a show, I can't imagine a tripod being of much use. The arials are so all over the place, I was often shooting in front to above my head, to behind my back in seconds and there's no way I could have used even a monopod in a way that it really would have been helpful in keeping anything steadier because there's never a time you could really lock anything down unless you were willing to just forget certain areas of the sky.

Had I kept the ISO control set to Auto like I often do, I don't know if the setting would have even gone above 200 or maybe 250 with the light as good as it was. I manually set 400 and used aperture priority to keep the speeds up like I did in my other post where I did some test images and manually set ISO 800 for those late afternoon images I shot from the office.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Looks like a great day out and that the lens did a good job.

My fave is the A10, but this is always going to be the case as it is my fave aircraft!!

Some great action with the aerobatic shots with the smoke etc and the lighting has allowed for some wonderful colours to be captured, just a real shame that the shutter speed was too high so the props are pretty well frozen.
The A-10 is a superb special purpose aircraft. I'll never forget my first "live fire" demo and the ripping sound of that 30mm Gatling gun. Pity the poor tank that gets in the gun sight of an A-10.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yes, I know....

I did think long and hard about it but in the end just did not want to be stuck in the traffic jam I know was out there about two hours after I left.

The number of exits out of this particular airport are extremely limited (just one two-lane highway) and there were fields and fields (literally) of cars out there and people were still coming in when I left......
Sounds like you were stuck in a no-win situation; an airfield with only one two lane highway exit would seem crazy for a big air show.

I'll let you in on a little trade secret. The Blue Angels always try to do their practice for a show at an airfield the day before the actual first day of the show, and at the same time of day. So if an air show starts on a Saturday, you could go out the airfield on the Friday before the show, and the Blue Angels will be doing their final practice show at the same time of day as their scheduled Saturday show.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post

ps... gotta pic a fav of these! Mine is the A-10 WART, it is superb in detail sharpness. Whatta ride that must be.
My favorite too. A beatup Warthog but that detail on the skin of the fuselage is great!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:38 PM   #19

Hi Greg-

Excellently done! Those shots are really amazing! I just go "WOW!....".

Those shots taken with the 9-18mm are also amazing! Very powerful images. I can feel how powerful and unique those planes are.

Thanks for the great photos.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:18 PM   #20

Well Greg,

I expected nothing but the best from you and your current combination of lenses and the EC-20. And, as always, you've delivered.

What strikes me, beyond the EC-20 performance, (you're having fun with it, aren't you) is the richness of the colors, the detail of the 'skins of the warplanes, while essentially having no blown highlights. Examining your images, it looks like an extremely bright, sunny day. One that, in the past would prove quite a challange to an E-5XX or E-4XX series dslr camera. However, your E-620 handled the lighting well. In fact, I really don't see any highlight issues at all.

That being said, capturing those planes as well as you did, must have been quite a challange at first. I try my hand at panning a bird in flight all the time and know just how difficult it is to capture the bird completely in focus -while at the sametime having it totally within the frame.

Your galleries are always 'eye candy' keep it up.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote