Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:33 PM   #21
Super Moderator

great set. lovely color/contrast/sharpness across the board. and all timed quite nicely.

enjoyed this set alot.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Examining your images, it looks like an extremely bright, sunny day. One that, in the past would prove quite a challange to an E-5XX or E-4XX series dslr camera. However, your E-620 handled the lighting well. In fact, I really don't see any highlight issues at all.
I always thought that "bright, sunny day" was the optimum setup that one should hope when out taking pictures?

In any case, Greg, those are awesome pics.

Dan
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:05 AM   #23

Thanks, Dan.

Some recent models had real issues with keeping highlights under control on bright days. I would have had problems and needed to compensate big-time using an E510 I was shooting with not that long ago with highlights glimmering off the chrome and metal on some of these planes. The E520 was a vast improvement to using the E510 and the E620 has been the best of the lot that I have used.

I could have used Zig's E30 to really machine-gun some bursts during this show, but I'm not sure I would have wanted to have more than the number of images I wound up with, which was almost 2 full 4GB cards' worth of RAW images, which will keep me busy for the next few days. I just gave them all a quick pass in processing the first group that I considered the better of the lot.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:28 PM   #24

That is a wonderful series of shot, Gregg-

Thanks very much for posting them.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:27 PM   #25

Thanks for looking, Sarah!

BTW everyone, I did move those images to a new folder to get them into one by themselves, here..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Portfo...91386011_pXafC

I added a few new ones last night and will be adding more over the next day or two.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:20 PM   #26

...ok, ok !!!! Just went through the gallery http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Portfo...91386011_pXafC again.......... prop freeze or not, it doesn't matter, the prop planes composition attitudes and all other photo attributes are absolutely super, as are the static and jet engined aerial photos.

I can imagine what the Blue Angels shots would have been like, it is a shame I-35W isn't a 5x5 freeway, we may have found out.

Thanks for adding the new A10 files, still my favorites..........
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrennan View Post
...ok, ok !!!! Just went through the gallery http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/portfo...91386011_pxafc again..........
____
bobb
lol!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:22 AM   #28
jgd

EXCELLENT shots Greg!!! You've certainly got the E-620 dialed in nicely. I may have to look at picking up the 50-200mm and EC20 also. What metering did you use on the in-flight shots?

I had intended to go out but was tied up with something else. My son was there and borrowed my Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens to use on his Canon 30D. It was his first time to an airshow and he enjoyed it. He stayed for the entire show and it took him 2 hours to get home.

Cheers,
Gunther
jgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgd View Post
EXCELLENT shots Greg!!! You've certainly got the E-620 dialed in nicely. I may have to look at picking up the 50-200mm and EC20 also. What metering did you use on the in-flight shots?

I had intended to go out but was tied up with something else. My son was there and borrowed my Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens to use on his Canon 30D. It was his first time to an airshow and he enjoyed it. He stayed for the entire show and it took him 2 hours to get home.

Cheers,
Gunther
Thanks, Gunther.

I just used matrix/multi-segment metering, set my aperture via aperture priority and let the camera's exposure system do the rest. The acts were all over the sky, going from 90 degrees from the sun where you had beautiful, dark blue skies, to just several degrees from the sun where the sky was more washed out, and everywhere in between. It was enough just trying to keep some of the acts in the finder as I fired away!

I was there early and got up near the front along the runway. As I was looking at the number of people on the grounds around 2pm, then the number of cars as I walked to mine, I figured it might take two hours just getting as far as Argyle, much less the time it would take to get back to Dallas!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:52 PM   #30

I'm really impressed with the sharpness of these shots. I was so impressed that I ordered an EC-20 this morning.

I am sure that the high shutter speeds contributed to sharpness but I would have liked to have seen some shots made in the shutter priority mode around 1/500 sec. At the distance these were probably shot I doubt it would degrade the image much with IS. That would have blurred the rotation of the propeller a slight bit and I think it would have resulted in more realistic shots. All the prop plane shots look like total engine failures.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote