Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:44 PM   #1

Default Air Show and 50-200+EC20....Verdict?

Pretty dang good.....The days I'll be keeping my 70-300 may possibly be numbered.

None of these images, or the others loaded to my web site, are cropped at all. This is the reach you get with the combination.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:54 PM   #2

A few more..

And a few from the ground displays, taken with either the 9-18 or the 50-200 SWD without the EC20..

Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:02 PM   #3

great job, Greg.
Did you get any of the Blue Angels? Other than the F/A-18, the birds are the slow movers. How did the lens work with the formation maneuvers of the Blue Angels.

How did you like your first air Show? Looks like the weather cooperated for you, and the shots are right on.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
great job, Greg.
Did you get any of the Blue Angels? Other than the F/A-18, the birds are the slow movers. How did the lens work with the formation maneuvers of the Blue Angels.
I have to admit to something now.....I didn't stay for the Blue Angels.

I was at the gates when they opened at 9am and stayed until about 3pm. It was great early, but by 2:30 or so, the crowd was just HUGE....the weather was perfect and I think half of Fort Worth came. I starting thinking about what time I might get home if I stayed until the end (and the Blue Angels were going to be the last act of the day), and I got the heck outta there.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:26 PM   #5

Pretty awesome Greg!!!

Help me here I can't get the Exif info...but I assume it was the E620 camera...I don't know what an 'EC 20' is...

Is the 50-200 an oly lens??

Thanks for the info and again very nice pics...I love planes...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:32 PM   #6

Hi littlejohn.

Yes, the lens was the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD Zuiko. All the images were shot with the E620. They are loaded here, and you'll be able to see all the EXIF data from this site..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...91369705_imhin

The air action was shot using the 50-200 and the Olympus EC20, which doubles the focal length coverage of the 50-200, so with the EC20, it is a 100-400 lens, or a 35mm equivalent coverage of a 200-800mm zoom, and many of those air shots were taken at the 400mm maximum tele end of the range.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:04 PM   #7

Thanks Dave..EC 20, a doubler...hmmm..works good too!

Also i was amazed at how much you stopped the motion....its a nice camera...I did try it out too!

Last edited by littlejohn; Oct 24, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:17 PM   #8

"I have to admit to something now.....I didn't stay for the Blue Angels"

Oh NO!!! Say it isn't so!!!

You missed absolutely the best part of the show by far. I hope that you get back to some other show to see them in the future. What you missed was nothing like what you were seeing before you left.

Anyway, half a show is better than none!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
"I have to admit to something now.....I didn't stay for the Blue Angels"

Oh NO!!! Say it isn't so!!!

You missed absolutely the best part of the show by far. I hope that you get back to some other show to see them in the future. What you missed was nothing like what you were seeing before you left.

Anyway, half a show is better than none!
Yes, I know....

I did think long and hard about it but in the end just did not want to be stuck in the traffic jam I know was out there about two hours after I left.

The number of exits out of this particular airport are extremely limited (just one two-lane highway) and there were fields and fields (literally) of cars out there and people were still coming in when I left. The line of cars still trying to get in at 3pm when I left was so long I truly wonder if the ones in the back of the line waiting to get in, made it by the time the Blue Angels performed. The Blue Angels were not only the very last scheduled performance, but the show was going to close shortly afterwards so the latest arrivers were not only going to come close to missing the Blue Angels, but then were not going to have much time to see the static displays.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Hi littlejohn.

Yes, the lens was the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD Zuiko. All the images were shot with the E620. They are loaded here, and you'll be able to see all the EXIF data from this site..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...91369705_imhin
I'm impressed with the shutter speed you were able to muster at f7. You have me thinking about the EC-20.

Were you using support on the camera? Monopod? I guess it wouldn't be necessary at those shutter speeds.

Greg (Northern)
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote