Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:01 PM   #1

Default Some birds shots but not mine

Hi all,

Just when you think you're getting good at something, someone comes along and blows you away. I've spent a fair amount of time trying to capture images of various birds. So, I'm very interested in searching out what others are doing, with the thought in mind of improving, learning and comparing.

I found this gallery of images that just blow me away. But, I'm happy to have found it, as I'll use it as a learining tool and hopefully, get better still.

P.S. I know that an Olympus dslr wasn't used to capture these. However, I'm looking at the images as a learning experience as well as the pure enjoyment of seeing results from a photographer who clearly has taken time to master his craft.

The link is here:http://www.pbase.com/efifirst/ringed_plover

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:16 PM   #2

Those are very good!

Can't help notice the focal length of 700mm on a body that doesn't have IS (and the assumption that serious coinage is being used)
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Those are very good!

Can't help notice the focal length of 700mm on a body that doesn't have IS (and the assumption that serious coinage is being used)
Yep...the D700 alone at $2,699 (B&H current price) is just under what my E620, 12-60 and 50-200 SWD plus the FL50R cost all together. Then you add the lens....either one of the big primes or, since the aperture used is f7.1, possibly a long tele zoom aided by a teleconverter. Probably a cheap, no-name tripod and inexpensive ballhead too!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Those are very good!

Yep, this combination of equipment is certainly out of my league.

But that doesn't stop me from aspiring to get that type of result. I know that sounds a bit naive, perhaps since I don't have a 300mm 2.8 ZD lens to use with an EC-14. But, I do have a Sigma 135-400mm 4.5 APO DG lens and an EC-14 Telecon which should give me 560mm focal length or 1160mm with the 2x factor.

Now all I have to do is improve my skills at capturing light properly, positioning myself so I can get as close as I can, employ a monopod, fine tune my settings on the E-30, etc. etc.............

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote