Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:21 PM   #1

Default Some new 50-200 SWD and EC20 images

Shot at varying focal lengths and near, if not wide open with the E620.

The statue atop the Federal Reserve Bank in focus in the forground, with the out-of-focus facade of the Adolphus Hotel in the background at 3 blocks away, zoomed to 400mm. A little busy for sure, but I do love using the compression ability these longer focal lengths provide.

One of the three bells in Thanksgiving Square.

The Pegusus atop the old Magnolia (Mobil) Oil building, from several blocks away at 400mm.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:24 PM   #2
Super Moderator

great sharpness and contrast. good colors. very nice
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:39 PM   #3

In another subject category where this setup had to be tried, here's a handheld shot of the full moon tonight. With the slow f7.1 aperture at 400mm and having an ongoing affliction towards the use of tripods, I wound up using ISO 640 to get an exposure of 1/1600 sec at f7.1. The image uploaded at Smugmug is a 100% crop of the moon with most of the dark sky cropped out.

Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:20 AM   #4

..........hey, any chance of guaranteed same quality if I stop by Arlington Camera today for an EC20. I would have one right away if I thought I could make good files with it.

Thanks for edging me forward!!
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:40 AM   #5

I guess nothings' ever guaranteed(!), but I don't see why not as long as you keep the shutter speeds fast enough. That seems the biggest obstacle to me in using the EC20 because twice the magnification has to really cut into the ability of the IS system to work effectively once the shutter speeds start falling lower than 1/250 second.

It was interesting to note the maximum aperture when I shot the moon last night. The fastest setting I could achieve was f7.1, but in looking at many of the images I shot wide open during the day, wide open at 400mm was 7.0. Not that 1/10th of a stop makes any real-world difference but it was just interesting to see in looking at the files last night.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 4, 2009 at 1:47 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:54 PM   #6

Hi Greg,

I keep having to remind myself that your'e using the EC-20 with the 50-200mm lens because you certainly can't tell from an IQ perspective. The sharpness and resolution doesn't seem to be impacted at all with the addition of the EC-20.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

I keep having to remind myself that your'e using the EC-20 with the 50-200mm lens because you certainly can't tell from an IQ perspective. The sharpness and resolution doesn't seem to be impacted at all with the addition of the EC-20.

Zig
I am truly amazed at how good teleconverters can be made today. The EC20 really is exceptional.