Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:34 AM   #11

The field is continuing to grow with the addition of Leica's X1 compact. Of course, being a Leica, it starts out at 1,995.00.

Here's a link to a gallery of images just posted.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0911/09...ax1gallery.asp
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
The field is continuing to grow with the addition of Leica's X1 compact. Of course, being a Leica, it starts out at 1,995.00.

Here's a link to a gallery of images just posted.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0911/09...ax1gallery.asp
i was expecting better to be honest. sure the build quality is nice and all, but the output lags behind even the micro 4/3 imo. heck it would be a difficult sell at this price over the sigma dp2 as well.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 11:19 AM   #13

I'll be interested in reading the reviews of the production version of Leica's LX-1 as it currently doesn't have any additional lenses, seems to have a rather conservative menu and the LCD utilizes a 230,000 mp screen.

As I recall, Olympus was criticized for releasing their EP-1 with an 'old' style 230,000 lcd screen and very few lenses to choose from ( among other complaints).

Makes no difference, I think I'll wait awhile before making any kind of a purchase as I think there will be other exciting releases in the months ahead.
And, that will be a good thing.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:12 PM   #14

By no means am I in any way looking to buy....yet another...new camera, but if I were looking for something smaller, the more I look at the prices Panasonic and Olympus are gouging in selling this initial micro four-thirds equipment, the better the Panasonic LX3 looks.

To be honest though, is the micro four-thirds system any better than me simply replacing the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD zuikos in my outfit with the 9-18 and 40-150 Zuikos to use with my E620 if I want to travel with a lighter outfit? It certainly does not seem so to me, especially considering the lenses that are now starting to emerge.

High performance, high-priced optics like the Panny 7-14 don't make any sense other than for one looking to make their micro 4/3rd's system their only system. I don't doubt the new 9-18 Zuiko, used with the in-camera corrections those cameras make, will be outstanding, but probably no better than the reflex version I have after I make the manual corrections in Photoshop after processing RAW files, and I bet Olympus prices the new lens higher to try and soak the initial buyers for a few extra dollars.

The new 14-150 Zuiko will be a perfect answer for the point & shooter who does not want to change lenses, but it will be criticized by people for everything from it not being fast enough to not being weather sealed to (probably) costing too much. No doubt another premium price will be attached here, and lord help Olympus if they release what many view as optical "dogs" after the reviews I have seen for the 14-42 and 17mm f2.8, especially compared to the Panasonic 20mm f1.7. Going too small and damaging their reputation for quality optics will ruin this system for Olympus faster than anything.

Besides....I still have my eyes on that dang 25mm f1.4 PL that's in-stock at B&H...a rediculously expensive lens in its' own right. Would someone else please BUY that!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I'll be interested in reading the reviews of the production version of Leica's LX-1 as it currently doesn't have any additional lenses.
The X-1's lens is not removable at all. So the only additional lenses could be maybe screw-in wide-angle or tele converters on the front - unlikely from Leica.

The Oly E10/E20 has those accessories but didn't really need them - their non-removable lens is a 35-140mm (eq), F2.0-2.4 zoom with internal focus and zoom. One of the most remarkable lenses I have ever owned...

Ted

PS: The Leica LX-1 is an older model. The new one is named the X-1.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:20 PM   #16

QUOTE= Originally posted by Greg Chappell

Besides....I still have my eyes on that dang 25mm f1.4 PL that's in-stock at B&H. Would someone else please BUY that![/QUOTE]

Just do it - it's a great lens! (I love spending other people's money...) I really like it but it is large, and it does front-focus on my E-3 (but not on the E-500). Does the 620 have autofocus correction like the E-30?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:43 PM   #17

Yes, you can tinker with AF adjustments with the E620....I'm just afraid after 5 minutes of me messing with it the results might look worse.

Haven't seen a need yet to do it with any of my Zuikos. The thing that keeps moving on me is the finder's eyesight diopter setting. I have no idea what I am doing while shooting that nudges it off the setting, but I do.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
The X-1's lens is not removable at all. So the only additional lenses could be maybe screw-in wide-angle or tele converters on the front - unlikely from Leica.

The Oly E10/E20 has those accessories but didn't really need them - their non-removable lens is a 35-140mm (eq), F2.0-2.4 zoom with internal focus and zoom. One of the most remarkable lenses I have ever owned...

Ted

PS: The Leica LX-1 is an older model. The new one is named the X-1.

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the correction on both counts. I saw the cover that surrounds the lens, when taken off, it reveals that this area is threaded. I misinterpreted that, and thought it somehow enabled the user to remove the lens and replace it with another.

Zig
Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
QUOTE= Originally posted by Greg Chappell

Besides....I still have my eyes on that dang 25mm f1.4 PL that's in-stock at B&H. Would someone else please BUY that!
Just do it - it's a great lens! (I love spending other people's money...) I really like it but it is large, and it does front-focus on my E-3 (but not on the E-500). Does the 620 have autofocus correction like the E-30?

Ted[/QUOTE]

Hi Guys,

I love spending other people's money as well. My trouble is that I also spend my money too easily as well ( according to the wife). I just tell her that I'm doing my part to keep the economic engine in this country running.

Greg dreams of the Panny 25mm f1.4 while I lust after the ZD 35-100mm.
Well, Christmas is coming and maybe Greg and I will each buy ourselves a present.

BTW Ted, even though the E-30 has the AF correction capability, I've been loathe to try and mess with it. In this case, I'm a firm believer in; if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Zig

And Greg, just pull the trigger on that lens. When it's gone, you'll be kicking yourself............
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:05 PM   #20

Over the next 4-5 weeks the opportunity is going to be there to do SOMETHING....what that exactly is, I don't know yet, but the 25mm f1.4 might be that something. Everything is covered...there's no real NEED there as far as the PL is concerned...it's just such a nice, fast lens and is, most likely, the only chance one will ever have to own such a lens in this system, knowing I would never chance the 30mm f1.4 Sigma.