Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Greg dreams of the Panny 25mm f1.4 while I lust after the ZD 35-100mm.
Well, Christmas is coming and maybe Greg and I will each buy ourselves a present.

BTW Ted, even though the E-30 has the AF correction capability, I've been loathe to try and mess with it. In this case, I'm a firm believer in; if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Two points here:

1. A great lens doesn't age, so over the years the costs ends up being lower than it seems when you buy it. You both should get the lenses you want, if you can possibly swing it, because you both are looking at superb lenses.
2. Superb lenses are so worthwhile that it's worth your selling your other lenses to get them. That's what i did to get the two f/2 SHG lenses and i don't regret it for a minute.

> even though the E-30 has the AF correction capability, I've been loathe to try and mess with it.

Well unless you are using the PL 25mm 1.4 you don't need to mess with it. I was just warning Greg that that lens, although superb, has focus issues with some Oly DSLRs. I figured out how to work around that with the E-3 but I've found that just mounting it on my old E-500 works very well - together they are a a great second camera that allows me to avoid switching lenses on the E-3 as much. So I use the f/2 SHG lenses on the E-3 and use the PL on the E-500 as well.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:31 PM   #22

Default Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
there's no real NEED there as far as the PL is concerned...it's just such a nice, fast lens and is, most likely, the only chance one will ever have to own such a lens in this system, knowing I would never chance the 30mm f1.4 Sigma.
That's why I bought it a while ago - at that time PL didn't seem to be making very many and I just figured I would regret not getting it. Frankly, I wouldn't bet much on PL continuing to make 4/3 lenses so personally if I didn't already have one I would jump on it even now. It really is a great lens.

Back in my film days my salary was way lower and I had to make do with second class lenses. Now I have found that today's inflation-adjusted total cost of great 4/3 lenses isn't much different than the old ones I used, as long as I don't buy any more lenses than I really will use. I.e. as long as I resist the temptation to be a collector I'm fine with a smaller number of lenses, all of which actually get used. But that's just me...

Ted

PS: All that said, the collector gene in me had trouble selling the Oly 50mm f/2, even though I almost never used it (grin).
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Two points here:

1. A great lens doesn't age, so over the years the costs ends up being lower than it seems when you buy it. You both should get the lenses you want, if you can possibly swing it, because you both are looking at superb lenses.
2. Superb lenses are so worthwhile that it's worth your selling your other lenses to get them. That's what i did to get the two f/2 SHG lenses and i don't regret it for a minute.

Ted
I'm going to add a point three...

3. If I choose to sell that "great lens", how much can I get back? If I sell that refurb 7-14 (paid $1250) will I recover $1100? $1000? What is the true cost of using the lens per year if you decide to wash out of the investment. The great OM glass still brings decent money!

I just received what will likely be my last 4/3 lens. I have no more want. The car payments are going to stop and I made a purchase I was always going to make. I've wanted it because I knew I'd use it. It matches what I love to do. Once I bought it, I won't have to do it again.

I now have the wide covered, now the long end too.

I have to sell off the 11-22 and a non SWD version of the 50-200. It will be good to cover that portion of the cost. I have three of the SHG lenses now. I'm not sure the 7-14 will be mine forever, but I'm going to work with it for awhile to see if I will aquire a taste for it. The other two I'll try to wear out.

The northern Greg.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:00 AM   #24

Default Digital is way better than film, for me

It's not just the modern lenses that make me happy. I've been shooting for a non-profit organization, pro bono, for almost 3 decades. This has been indoor at EV 5. I used to try to do it without flash using ISO1600 film, and I would get enough grain to bake a loaf of bread. Now, I can shoot at f/2, ISO 800 or 1000, and get a shutter speed of 1/60 with good images. What a difference! And the inflation-adjusted cost of the equipment isn't very different now.

I have to laugh when some of the folks at DPReview say they will switch away from Oly if they don't get an E-5 with good ISO 3200 immediately. They're going to lose one stop of ISO with CaNikon just because they will have to use f/2.8 zooms instead of the Oly f/2 SHG glass. This is worth thousands of dollars? Jeeez.

Ted
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I have to laugh when some of the folks at DPReview say they will switch away from Oly if they don't get an E-5 with good ISO 3200 immediately. They're going to lose one stop of ISO with CaNikon just because they will have to use f/2.8 zooms instead of the Oly f/2 SHG glass. This is worth thousands of dollars? Jeeez.

Ted
Hi Ted,

I too, chuckle at all the threads posted at that site expressing angst for lack of new toys or threats of deserting the brand if something isn't released immmediately.

I can appreciate any photographer wanting to upgrade or change brand, if their current equipment doesn't meet their requirements --regardless of wether the need is real or imaginary.
Generally though, most people don't posts threats on websites, they just go and do it.

Me, with the E-30, I find that my equipment's capabilities far exceed my own. I really can't see a new camera body coming out that will cause me to want to upgrade in the next few years.

As for lenses, I agree with your philosphy on investing in SHG glass. I made a decision last year to stop buying economy grade and/or legacy lenses and begin investing in hi grade lenses. I sold off my kit lenses, 35mm macro, 70-300mm, tokina 300mm ATX SD MF lens. Those funded the purchase of a 12-60mm SWD. I too, sold off my 50mm f2 macro lens - probably, the only sale I regret. But, that helped pay for the 50-200mm. At some point, I'll add the 35-100mm f2 which I'll use for low light applications and the EC-20 for added focal length on the 50-200mm.

And, if I ever hit the lottery, I might get a 300mm f2.8.
Of course, there's a used one I can pick up at B&H. It's selling for a mere 4800 bucks.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,

And, if I ever hit the lottery, I might get a 300mm f2.8.
Of course, there's a used one I can pick up at B&H. It's selling for a mere 4800 bucks.

Zig
Hah! It wouldn't be useful for me, but you're in trouble. That's a substantial discount and you could really use it for the bird photography you do.

Ted
Old Nov 13, 2009, 5:45 AM   #27

Default Leica's X-1 field report

Caught this field report on Luminous Landscape for Leica's X-1 camera.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...x1-field.shtml
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 9:36 AM   #28

I saw that review the other day. Note, he was more impressed with the packaging than the back LCD! Like someone mentioned at DPReview, that report sounded like a Leica guy who really wanted to like it, but in the end could not.

For $2,000, everything about it should not only be best in class, but first in class by a long shot and it's not. The lens is obviously very nice (but at that price I want f2, if not f1.7) and there's no denying the high ISO performance in the images he posted thoroughly trounced the GF1 in side-by-side comparison, but this is a camera most probably would not use more than 2-3 years, tops. Can't see it for the price.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote