Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:43 PM   #1

Default Olympus E-P2

Looks like the Olympus E-P2 coming very soon(January).

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=870668

And new lenses: 14-150mm & 9-18mm

http://43rumors.com/olympus-e-p2/
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i am in love. ><
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:40 PM   #3

I will believe the effectiveness of that AF-tracking system when I see it.

the fact is, Olympus' AF systems in their digicams and the E-P1 is not good, and that's being kind. I'd rather use a different term in describing it, but the site would probably not allow it posted.

My guess is, if one is able to get a single well composed, in focus image of a moving subject with an E-P2, you'll be doing good, and the hump created with that accessory EVF puts an E-P2 back in the same class as the smaller DSLR's as far as compactness goes and leaves you with no ability to use a flash without having to first remove the finder.

The body/finder combination looks like a modern version of a Leica M fitted with a Visoflex SLR finder.

Little here looks inticing to me.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I actually don't care about the AF speed on this type of camera, thats what my 50d is for.

the big improvement for me is the detachable 1.44mp evf. very nice when you need, (very nice for MF legacy lenses!) and can easily detach when you need the portability.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:23 AM   #5

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0911/09...olympusep2.asp

Ugly viewfinder with black camera :-(
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:16 PM   #6

Sweet!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:21 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i could really care less how ugly the viewfinder is, since it is removable. the important part is it matches the G1/GH1's EVF resolution, and is much higher in resolution than the external EVF on the GF1.

my problem is the pricetag. pretty steep imo.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i could really care less how ugly the viewfinder is, since it is removable. the important part is it matches the G1/GH1's EVF resolution, and is much higher in resolution than the external EVF on the GF1.

my problem is the pricetag. pretty steep imo.

While, I don't see me buying this camera anytime soon, ( I agree, the pricing is too steep for me right now) I can't help but be intrigued by this little camera. I keep waffling back and forth relative to it's merits vs shortcomings and it has plenty of both, I still think that if I travelled a lot, I would love to own one-and I wouldn't give a hoot as to how the EVF looked as long as it performed.

To be able to stick a small camera like this into my cargo pants pocket and also put an add'l lens in another pocket then go off and be able to take really high resolution images, well, it would be ideal.

I keep reminding myself as to the types of shots I took when my wife and I were on a cruise through the Mediterrannean. They weren't action shots or birds in fllight. they were landscape, waterscape, street scenes, and candids. While, I love my E-30, I really would rather not schlep it around all day long in that type of environment.

Seems like the EP-2 is the perfect answer to me for that type of photography.

The only problem I see for Olympus is that given the merits of the design and the needs of the marketplace, this arena will be filled with competitive cameras before you know it.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
While, I don't see me buying this camera anytime soon, ( I agree, the pricing is too steep for me right now) I can't help but be intrigued by this little camera. I keep waffling back and forth relative to it's merits vs shortcomings and it has plenty of both, I still think that if I travelled a lot, I would love to own one-and I wouldn't give a hoot as to how the EVF looked as long as it performed.
I keep reminding myself as to the types of shots I took when my wife and I were on a cruise through the Mediterrannean. They weren't action shots or birds in fllight. they were landscape, waterscape, street scenes, and candids. While, I love my E-30, I really would rather not schlep it around all day long in that type of environment.

Seems like the EP-2 is the perfect answer to me for that type of photography.

Zig
Just my 2 cents, as zig is touching on something. As one who travels around the country in my work, this camera is the same kind that caused me to originally change into digital. I got tired of the hassle, the bulk, and the worry about my OM-2 and all my lens getting banged up Monday thru Friday between airplanes, airports, and hotels. I stopped traveling with my camera and the camera bag, because it was a hassle, and I worried about my equipment getting damaged or stolen. (Constant travel for work is a lot different from going on vacation.)

It was 2001 and 2002 when I was flying across country every week, that the small Olympus digital finally caught my eyes, I think it was 1.5 megapixels. But it had a small zoom, and fit easily into my coat pocket or brief case. I could shoot easily, and as I already traveled with a laptop, I could download immediately. Yes, maybe the quality wasn't as good then, but most of my photos were computer viewed, not printed. But again, my point is this small camera has appeal to people in my similiar circumstances as a supplement, not a replacement, to the other dSLR gear.

It is the kind of camera that you can take with you in situations when you would normally leave the larger heaver equipment behind. Yes, as pointed out, the camera has shortcomings, but I don't look at as a competitor to my larger cameras. And zig hit on the fact that most of the shots for which this camera will be used will be landscapes, etc. Unfortunately, with the economy now in the tank, I'm not in a position to buy one. But I can really understand the appeal.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:25 AM   #10

Manual EP-2

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/..._Manual_EN.pdf

Having a GH1 I'm forgetting toys like EP-1, EP-2, GF1, .... :-)
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote