Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:57 PM   #1

Default ....she's back in town

.........today I went to Arlington airport to shoot a few addon files to my B-17 Aluminum Overcast collection. Friday made for a good day (sans a crowd) to move about and make photos, but no crowd - no flights, that will be tomorrow and I have a football game so today it was. Here are a couple samples.

E-3 50-200 v.1 @ 112mm f/10 1/250s ISO160

E-3 50-200 v.1 SP mode @ 56mm f/18 1/250s ISO160 ---- Zig, your 'pano crop' came to mind for these two

E-3 50-200 v.1 SP mode @ 83mm f/6.3 1/250s ISO160

E-3 14-54 v.1 AP mode @ 22mm f/3.0 1/320s ISO 160

E-3 14-54 v.1 AP mode @ 14mm f/2.8 1/2500s ISO 160

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 6, 2009 at 9:13 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:28 PM   #2

Hi Bob,

Beautiful shots of a classic aircraft. And....I do think that a pano crop is very effective for that kind of shot. My favorite, though, is the last one-that is just perfect.

Your shots and Greg's recent trip to the airshow have me thinking about going to an Airshow. Unfortunately, this isn't the season for it up here in the Northeast.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:33 PM   #3

Great photos, of a beautiful airplane. Thanks for sharing.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:46 PM   #4

Beautiful shots of a beautiful warbird!! She visited our town a couple years ago, with your permission I would like to post a shot from her visit here.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:03 PM   #5

I love the old planes. There is a Lancaster bomber that flies out of the Warplane Museum in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I had an opportunity to go on board while it was parked outside the hangar. It was very cramped and it had very little in the way of creature comforts. Being inside these aircraft gives one an appreciation of what the air crews were able to do under very difficult circumstances.

Wonderful images.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 8:12 PM   #6

Fantastic photos Bob! Very powerful! I like them a lot!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 8:32 PM   #7

Default There is something that makes me feel warm inside.

I have the softest of spots for the old WWII warbirds, the people that restore to that level, and those determined to keep 'em flying.

I used to work with a company that did restorations. It isn't cheap and the people were more artists than mechanics. Just imagine the gallons per hour to feed a 2000 hp engine and multiply that times four. Its not for the faint of heart.

One to the the planes we did was a P-40 warhawk. It was about this time of year that I squirted the last fuel in it for the owner so it could be removed from service for the winter. "That will save me $3800 on insureance" he said. Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, and maybe March. I didn't think that was to bad of rates for a million dollar plus aircraft. "No, thats per month" he replied.

It takes a person with resources and a desire to keep history alive. Bless 'em.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:03 PM   #8

Lots of beautiful chrome. Like a 1950's Zeiss, Voigtlander or Leica all chrome rangefinders...all kinds of personality you don't see today.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:11 PM   #9

...........thanks everyone for the comments.

This old gal squeaks and groans some and today I heard the brakes being a bit unhappy, she is a beautiful plane, slow as molasses and the engines sound is really wonderful.

Bob H, please do share your photos..... love to see!

bluenose,
yep there's little room. I've not photographed the inside of the plane, today would have been the perfect day for that because at the time I was 'up close' there was only one other person. I did not have my C7070WZ today which is the camera to use for inside shots. Maybe next year I will try doing that.

here is a peek in...

For any who may like to see the rest of the story and for some, again for the first time ...... http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/Photog...3_yszTm#P-1-25
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:32 AM   #10

Those are awesome shots!
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote