Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1

Default Some Gear shots

taken with my trusty E500 and ZD 50/f2 lens

this is my new baby and her latest implements...along with a longtime friend, the ZD 14-54 and EC14

I have been using a Chinese Manfrotto Clone for 3 years now and have run into various scenarios where it has completely failed me in some form or another...upgrades had been put off for far too long...I went all in

-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:24 AM   #2

.......very nice! I have no tripod and everytime I think about making a decision confusion sets in, it complicates making a decision so I don't.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:32 AM   #3

Haha Bob! I concur!! I was exactly the same way. I originally bought a slik with a panning head and didn't like all of the giant knobs, so i gave it to a friend...then i bought the cheap chinese version of a pro-grade tripod and hated it as well...then I read this

http://bythom.com/support.htm

and it brought me out of my chaotic decision making behavior...I am very content now. the next upgrade will be a carbon fiber monopod for hikes where I need to pack light.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 5:15 AM   #4

I love the lighting in your photos-very well done.
Not to mention the equipment.

And, your posting of the Thom Hogan article is very much appreciated, by me, since I have a tremor in my right hand that's advanced to the point that my hand held shooting days are pretty much over. These days the camera either sits atop a Manfrotto tripod or Velbon Monopod. The article answers a number of questions of mine relative to how much shake can still be present even when using a tripod.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:02 PM   #5

Thanks Zig, off camera lighting is one of my passions, I used two strobes on these shots, an FL-50 and a Nikon SB-24, triggered using radio popper Jrx's. the photos are compressed a great deal, so the color isn't spot on and I can see banding in my shadows...but it's the web, not an exhibition.

That article was an eye opener to me, it made me realize the amount of excuses i was making for poor support. The essential tremor is something I can relate to, I have it to a mild extent and it shows up when i am fatigued especially. It can be controlled to an extent, but I am not one to take meds.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:15 AM   #6

Hi Edge

Agree with Zig... the lighting is just spot on and the E3 looks very pretty indeed!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:03 PM   #7

....hey Edge,

What strap are you using on your E-3?
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:58 PM   #8

The connectors look like the type strap you see with the flexible, weight-reducing neopren material in the center shoulder section....cannot remember the brand name. I remember this particular strap because I've looked at them in Arlington Camera. They do not have the twisting attachment like Domke uses that keeps straps from getting all kinds of tangles in them.

EDIT: Optec? That may be it.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 10, 2009 at 2:06 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:12 PM   #9

good call Greg, it is an Op/Tech USA strap, and yes it tangles, but it's comfortable and can be easily untwisted by disconnecting the fastex buckles....but the anti-twist feature would be 1000% better in any case. I rarely use a strap, but when I do it's nice to wake up the next day with neck skin still intact..heh.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:50 AM   #10

I have an Optec bag strap I use with my Domke shoulder bags. Works great.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote