Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:39 AM   #1

Default Birds at 283mm focal length

After taking a look at the bird photos taken by Greg (of the North), It prompted me to see what I could get out of the 50-200mm Ed when fully extended and with using the EC-14 teleconverter. What follows are two images that are not cropped but reduced somewhat for web posting:

As you can see depth of field is a problem for me as my lenns is just too close to the subject to allow for any DOF.

Anyways, while not anywhere near what the 300mm f2.8 can deliver, this will have to do for now.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:04 AM   #2

Quote:
this will have to do for now
I think it does very well too, how about the 12-60 + EC-14 at your normal shooting position?

All of you are pushing me to the tele-converter itch I mentioned somewhere else, I am beginning to want to scratch that itch..........
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:00 AM   #3

Default Actually.....

I think you have proved the number ont thing about getting great bird pics. GET CLOSE!!!

If I take my 300 f2.8 and stop it down to its greatest sharpness, and someone else takes the 70-300 and gets twice as close to the subject, I'd bet the one that got closer would have the better photo.

My 50-200 isn't going anywhere, either. I'll bet that the kit changes I've made don't knock the 50-200 from the top spot in my most used lenses.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
My 50-200 isn't going anywhere, either. I'll bet that the kit changes I've made don't knock the 50-200 from the top spot in my most used lenses.
Greg
Just for shear ROI on the 300mm, I would move it to the top
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote