Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:50 AM   #1

Default Kirk Tuck's 3day shoot w/ Olympus

Those of you who are regular visitors to DPReview may have already seen this blog, but to those of you who haven't caught it yet, here is a link to Kirk Tuck's commentary on a recent 3 day shoot using an E-3 and E-30 camera.

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com...long-days.html

Some pretty good equipment assessments.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:30 AM   #2

......read it through! I found it an interesting article, enjoyed it very much.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:17 AM   #3

Kirk was an active Olympus E-System Community forum member on Flickr, but deleted his account last month, great guy, great photographer...he'll be missed there. He was also active on the Strobist forum in flickr and dropped Nikon completely from his kit and replaced it completely with Olympus, much to the chagrin of a lot of members. I enjoy reading his blog. thanks for the post.
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:47 AM   #4

Yes, I think he's usually a very good read. I like where he comes from-seems like a down to earth sort.

One thing he pointed out that was of interest to me was his comparison of the AF system of the E-30 vs the E-3. Most all of the reviews I've read indicated that the AF system was the pretty much the same in both. He obviously feels otherwise, since his findings are the E-3 is faster.

Anyways, it's all good reading.
Zig
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:03 AM   #5

Hi Zig

Thanks for posting this - I've read a couple of his blogs already and this was a pretty interesting read, esp as he used to be a Nikon shooter. I did find his note that he thought the E3's AF was better than the E30's which was a bit surprising as everything else that I've read seemed to point that the E30's was better.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Yes, I think he's usually a very good read. I like where he comes from-seems like a down to earth sort.

One thing he pointed out that was of interest to me was his comparison of the AF system of the E-30 vs the E-3. Most all of the reviews I've read indicated that the AF system was the pretty much the same in both. He obviously feels otherwise, since his findings are the E-3 is faster.

Zig
I've ran through the series of firmware updates, and to say the autofocus is strongly dependent on which version the E-3 is running is an understatement. They could very well be identical hardware and the instruction set could be the only difference.

I enjoy reading his blogs, but I must say I'm glad I am an amateur and I don't have to photograph an event like this and make it work. My gut would be so twisted and there would be no joy at all.

I'll just keep on pushing the shutter button and shrug the shoulders if it doesn't work the way I wanted.

Greg (the Wiskeyconsin one)
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I've ran through the series of firmware updates, and to say the autofocus is strongly dependent on which version the E-3 is running is an understatement. They could very well be identical hardware and the instruction set could be the only difference.

I enjoy reading his blogs, but I must say I'm glad I am an amateur and I don't have to photograph an event like this and make it work. My gut would be so twisted and there would be no joy at all.

I'll just keep on pushing the shutter button and shrug the shoulders if it doesn't work the way I wanted.

Greg (the Wiskeyconsin one)

Good point. I forgot about firmware changes.

I'm with you on doing a photo shoot - I'd be so anxious that there wouldn't be any enjoyment in it.

I'll stick to the birds

Zig
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Good point. I forgot about firmware changes.
How does one go about checking/installing firmware changes on an Olympus? I have the E-620.
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
How does one go about checking/installing firmware changes on an Olympus? I have the E-620.
You have to have the Olympus Master (or if you own Olympus Studio, that works) software loaded to your computer. You then open that program, attach your camera to the computer via the USB cord and turn it on. Once the computer recognizes the camera, there's an option at the top of the screen, with Olympus Studio it is under the HELP tab, that says "Update Camera". Click on that and follow the instructions.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY! You don't really need a completely charged battery as the firmware update does not take THAT long, but if the battery dies during the update, or if you accidently turn the camera off or unplug the camera from the computer before the update is finished, the camera would likely be unuseable and you'd be stuck with sending it in to Olympus to have it reset.

You follow this same process to update lenses, including teleconverters and the EX14 in addition to flash units. All of these items have firmware loaded and could be subject to updates. You just mount the accessory you want to check onto a camera and follow the same steps. The software will check each piece attached and tell you if there are updates or not.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 20, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:50 PM   #10

Interesting read. To me, real life impressions from working pros are worth WAY more than standard web site reviews. And it's always a bonus when yout get someone who has worked with multiple systems. That alone is interesting - pros tend to be a LOT less fanboy than the rest of us. They want the best tool for the job - regardless of the name on the camera strap. And for what he does, the Oly is a better tool for him than Nikon. Good read!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote