Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:15 PM   #1

Default monstrous blue jay

We had a BlueJay visit the feeder today and stuck around long enough for me to grab the camera and take a few shots. This one came out okay. But what struck me was how large he was as compared to the regulars who come each morning for breakfast. Notice how distended his throat is from scarfing up a bunch of sunflower seeds.
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:22 PM   #2

Default Uh Oh I forgot to add

I forgot to add that this is my 1st attempt at downloading a file using PSE 8.0
and an IMac desktop. I bit the bullet after many frustrating episodes of software freeze ups, crashes, etc. on the XPS400 windows desktop whenever I was doing work in PSE 6.0.

So far, I'm marveling at how easy everything has been to this point to install and run on a Mac. No firewalls, no virus scan software. No crashes, freeze ups
(Yet).
Now all I have to do is figure how to transfer 66GB worth of photos from the Dell to the MAc.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:31 PM   #3

Default Female Cardinal

A second image captured and pp done in PSE-8.0 on the Mac:
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:04 AM   #4

Well Zig, youre not as dumb as I look. Being a mac user is a wise decision. Isnt it nice not to have to install useless programs for virus protection? Excellent shots of the jay and cardinal. I suggest you replace that piece of oak with a natural looking tree limb to give future shots a more natural setting.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:20 AM   #5

Hi Bynx,

Thanks for the kind comments. You're right about using a Mac. I was amazed when I started researching Macs that no virus software is required for the Mac. Being a long time Windows user,I just thought it was SOP.
So far, the Mac has been a revelation in terms of ease of use. And, one thing that had me smiling yesterday was a vist to Adobe's PSE support page as I had a question on the software. The first thing I noticed was there were at least 6 fixes for problems with freezes lockups etc for PSE when using Vista, 7, or XP.

There were none for Macs OSX Leopard.

Funny thing about your mentioning replacing the wood that I have bracing the feeder. That's always bothered me and on Friday, I went and cut a Holly branch and affixed it to the side of my house about a foot to the left of the feeder. (yes, the neighbors think I'm nuts-grin). My hope was the birds would perch on the branch when waiting to get a chance at the feeder. In so doing I'd get a shot of a bird or two in a more natural setting. Well, the branch looks real nice, but so far, none of the birds find it particularly appealing.

So, I'm back to the drawing board.

Zig
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Bynx,

Thanks for the kind comments. You're right about using a Mac. I was amazed when I started researching Macs that no virus software is required for the Mac. Being a long time Windows user,I just thought it was SOP.
So far, the Mac has been a revelation in terms of ease of use. And, one thing that had me smiling yesterday was a vist to Adobe's PSE support page as I had a question on the software. The first thing I noticed was there were at least 6 fixes for problems with freezes lockups etc for PSE when using Vista, 7, or XP.

There were none for Macs OSX Leopard.

Funny thing about your mentioning replacing the wood that I have bracing the feeder. That's always bothered me and on Friday, I went and cut a Holly branch and affixed it to the side of my house about a foot to the left of the feeder. (yes, the neighbors think I'm nuts-grin). My hope was the birds would perch on the branch when waiting to get a chance at the feeder. In so doing I'd get a shot of a bird or two in a more natural setting. Well, the branch looks real nice, but so far, none of the birds find it particularly appealing.

So, I'm back to the drawing board.

Zig
Congrats on your Mac, Zig. I've been running Linux for the past 7 years. It's really opened my eyes to a whole new world. No viruses, trojans, et al and it runs and runs and runs with no crashes, BSODs, etc. Macs run a version of Unix so, you're not too far from Linux. It takes a little getting-used-to but the pay-offs FAR out-weigh the little bit of learning you have to do. Saved me from buying a new computer because without all the virus protection and other crap, my box runs like a new machine.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Congrats on your Mac, Zig. I've been running Linux for the past 7 years. It's really opened my eyes to a whole new world. No viruses, trojans, et al and it runs and runs and runs with no crashes, BSODs, etc. Macs run a version of Unix so, you're not too far from Linux. It takes a little getting-used-to but the pay-offs FAR out-weigh the little bit of learning you have to do. Saved me from buying a new computer because without all the virus protection and other crap, my box runs like a new machine.

Thanks Gary,

Not that I've had this system all that long, having only started using it on Thursday, but I've yet to have PSE8 crash on me. By comparison, my Windows based PSE 6.0 would have crashed at least a 1/2 dozen times during the same time.
Not sure if it's the PSE* or the IMac that has rectified the situation. And, frankly I don't care. It's working, I'm having fun again and that's what matters.

Zig
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:31 AM   #8

hey Zig,
................congrats on the computer & PSE 8 upgrades. While I have not given in to the iMac I do wonder why not. For the last 10 years I worked I designed, coded and maintained a 250 program AIX system which is IBM's version of UNIX. So, UNIX / Linux distros I am familiar with but just never got to favoring Apple other than my iPhone. I think you will be quite happy with having made the change.

Gary...........
Are you running a commercial distribution, I bought SUSE v.9 a long time ago, loaded and ran it parallel to XP. I also, have run Knoppix, Ubunto & Suse live CDs to sample those, but not for some time now. The old XP machine is now ready for a full time Linux go, gotta decide on a flavor to put on it.....AND maybe this Vista junk OS machine too, although I likely will do Win 7 here just to save some applications. I already do OpenOffice.org for the 'office type' apps, have run them for years instead of MSFT.

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 23, 2009 at 5:22 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:45 PM   #9

Well now Bob.....I understood very little of all that you wrote to Gary....

You now know I'm nuthin but a lowly end-user who knows just enough to get myself into trouble at times.

Zig, beautiful Blue Jay. Those guys can get pretty darn big. The female Cardinal is a looker, too.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Well now Bob.....I understood very little of all that you wrote to Gary....

You now know I'm nuthin but a lowly end-user who knows just enough to get myself into trouble at times.

Zig, beautiful Blue Jay. Those guys can get pretty darn big. The female Cardinal is a looker, too.

Hi Greg,

Thanks. There was little direct sunlight that day so, while I had plenty of light, I didn't have a backlighting issue to deal with. As a result, the Jay came out pretty well.

As for what Bob said, I can only echo what you just stated. It's all talking in code to me.

Zig