Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:44 PM   #1

Default Feeder in manual mode

These are all shot in Manual mode with the E-410. I've discovered, as I've been told by lots of folks, that it is MUCH easier to shoot and get it right in Manual than in any other mode. Auto or Program is fine for those "gotta get and hope they'll be fixable later" shots. Now to work on gettin' 'em sharp.

EVERYBODY loves suet

Just hangin' out

Wazzat thing?!

What a pose!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:05 PM   #2

Default Hi Gary,

I agree, for me, manual mode is the only way to try and shoot these little critters. That and getting as close as possible to your subject.

These latest shots, look to me, much improved. But you posted these shots, so I'm assuming your looking for comments as well as suggestions on how to improve. Here's a few
Use a tripod or a monopod at least. Any shaking or movement will blur your image and no amount of PP work will correct it.
If I had an E-410, I would set the contrast and saturation at -1 for both. Your images should come out more natural in tone and color. You can add it back very easily in pp if needed.
With the E-510, I usually underexposed the shot by 1/3v as I didn't want to lose any highlights. I would do the same with the E-410.
I can't overemphasize enough the fact that you should be as close as possible to your subject. Less than 10ft if possible.
I typically shoot at an ISO of 400 to 1250 on the E-30 depending on the available light as I want a minimum shutter speed of 1/250.
I use single point center AF for better control of what the camera is focusing on.

Finally, I like to see images with a little less noise filtering and sharpening But then, that's just my preferences.

Keep posting and keep having fun as that's what it's all about.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I agree, for me, manual mode is the only way to try and shoot these little critters. That and getting as close as possible to your subject.

These latest shots, look to me, much improved. But you posted these shots, so I'm assuming your looking for comments as well as suggestions on how to improve. Here's a few
Use a tripod or a monopod at least. Any shaking or movement will blur your image and no amount of PP work will correct it.
If I had an E-410, I would set the contrast and saturation at -1 for both. Your images should come out more natural in tone and color. You can add it back very easily in pp if needed.
With the E-510, I usually underexposed the shot by 1/3v as I didn't want to lose any highlights. I would do the same with the E-410.
I can't overemphasize enough the fact that you should be as close as possible to your subject. Less than 10ft if possible.
I typically shoot at an ISO of 400 to 1250 on the E-30 depending on the available light as I want a minimum shutter speed of 1/250.
I use single point center AF for better control of what the camera is focusing on.

Finally, I like to see images with a little less noise filtering and sharpening But then, that's just my preferences.

Keep posting and keep having fun as that's what it's all about.
Zig
Thanks, Zig. I'll take any tips I can get.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote