Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 25, 2009, 3:55 PM   #1

Default So when will Harj sell his soul for an M9?

We all know how much Harj loves, and how good he is at, street photography. I'm looking at the PopPhoto review of the Leica M9 rangefinder, and it seems to be the perfect street cam for Harj - sitent shutter, discreet, and the Brits in London who are pro togs will be impressed with the red dot. It's only $7K USD for the body, and only another $10K USD for the (ideal for this FF cam) really fast 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux Leica lens.

Everyone who thinks Harj should get one, raise your hand.

(grin)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:14 PM   #2

The M9 would also work great with the new 50mm f1.1 Cosina/Voigtlander, for much less money than the Noctilux...

http://cameraquest.com/voigt_5011.htm

Or even the 35mm f1.2..

http://cameraquest.com/voigt3512.htm
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:28 PM   #3

Good ideas, Greg. Also I haven't checked on the Carl Zeiss options, which are great lenses and tend to be less expensive than the Leicas. Gonna be tough, though, to get around paying 7 large for that M9 body.

Nevertheless, maybe we can get Harj on a roll...

(grin)

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Nov 25, 2009 at 6:35 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:10 PM   #4

I think he would make one sing. If there were too many red dots in his kit, we might not hear much from him on this forum. The red dot crowd tends to be, shall we say, exclusive.

I hope Oly keeps an eye on the rangefinder lenses. Its what I think would make an ideal m4/3 system. Fast, small primes. Dim f5.6 zooms are not what I would call ideal.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 6:54 AM   #5

Default I'd love to own one

I would love to own that camera lens combo.

Because, if I did, I'd sell it to Harj at a forum member discount, use the funds to buy the 300mm ZD 2.8 and with the money left over, I'd take a trip Alaska.

what ya think?

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 7:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I hope Oly keeps an eye on the rangefinder lenses. Its what I think would make an ideal m4/3 system.
Greg
I'd be a lot more interested in the 43 system if someone made one with an integral rangefinder - optical or even a decent EVF. Using liveview just doesn't appeal to me - I have a cell phone for that. Oly proved it can be done - they make an external EVF for the EP-2. Why don't they just integrate it into the body? It would make the body somewhat larger but it be more pocketable than hanging that external EVF on it.

And you're right about 43 needing some fast primes - its biggest market will be street photography use.

Ted
Old Nov 26, 2009, 7:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I would love to own that camera lens combo.

Because, if I did, I'd sell it to Harj at a forum member discount, use the funds to buy the 300mm ZD 2.8 and with the money left over, I'd take a trip Alaska.

what ya think?

Zig
Sounds like a good plan! But for the photography you do, I'd have thought you'd be more interested in the 90-250 2.8. Plus you could save $1K...

Ted
Old Nov 26, 2009, 7:39 AM   #8

Hi Ted,

Happy Turkey Day!

My response was a lame attempt at a bit of humor.

Actually, my next lens purchase will most likely be the 35-100mm ZD 2.0.

I realize, based on the images I post, you might be scratching your head wondering. But, I've felt that I've been missing a low light performing lens with that focal range for indoor shots, portraiture as well as my bird shots at the feeder. Many of the bird images I capture using the feeder set up are actually somewhere between 75mm to 100mm. The 35-100mmf2.0 would be a great addition because of it's versatility. But then, I don't have to tell you that.

Luckily, for me, the cost of that lens, while expensive, is more realistic than the 90-250mm or the 300mm.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:43 AM   #9

Hi Guys

Kind of lost for words... esp after reading all of the comments. Now If I had any Leica M camera - the first thing that would have to go is that red dot and any other reference to Leica - all covered up with some nice black tape! I do think it would be seriously nice to have an M8 or something similar at some stage but at current prices 7KUSd makes me break into a sweat just thinking about how much that's gonna hurt! .

Ted your right about m43 .. I want one but it has to be like the LC1 with built in EVF and I don;t care whether PanaLeica or Oly makes it...it would be perfect as a street shooters cam. LL had a pretty interesting write up on the Leica X1 and compared it to Pana's GF1 and the really interesting bit was that the GF1 was the better streetshooters cam! Until we get an inbuilt EVF and rangefinder look, I'll jwait and see how things progress with the m43 and from the looks of it theyre going pretty well for Oly and Pana. Regards EVF, someone from Oly has made a few comments in this weeks Amatuer Photographer (UK) stating that the future is EVF and that Oly is fully committed to it.

New lenses.. well for me I'd like to get the EC20 or EC14 to use with the 35-100F2 esp for air shows and taking the odd birding shot. Other than that I do want the 14-35F2 so badly, but at 2000GBP there's just no way that's going to happen unless Oly's willing to provide a freebie or two, or we all win the lottery!

Zig, your gonna love the 35-100F2 when you get your mitts on one!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 3:02 PM   #10

zig I want that 35-100mm F2 as well but at 2000 it will have to wait. those shg lenses are just to die for but I think we all need to win the lottery for those babies lol
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote