Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2009, 6:15 PM   #1

Default Olympus Zuiko 50-200mm or Similar

I have a E-510 with the kit lenses. I want to upgrade my glass so that when taking a Picture I can Blur out the background so that only the subject is sharp. With the kit lens, the results are less then thrilling. Is the Zuiko 50-200mm the way to go, or is there another manufacture or lens you would recommend?

Thanks
MrPitBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2009, 7:02 PM   #2

You can use longer lenses, faster aperture, or move closer to the subject. Those are the ways to limit the depth of field.

This is with the "old" 40-150 f3.5-4.5 kit lens.

108mm f4.2

as is this

150mm f4.5

This is the 50-200 at f4 and 200mm

158mm f5.6

There are reasons to get the 50-200, but tops on my list is its a very versatile high quality lens throughout its ranges.

Greg

x
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 9:24 PM   #3

Awesome pictures Greg! Of course having beautiful dogs helps!

As you point out the longer lenses and faster aperture is what is drawing me toward the 50-200mm Zuiko. I am wondering if one of the less expensive Sigma or Tamron lenses would do what I want.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 6:11 AM   #4

Can't add anymore to what Greg's already advised other than the 50-200 is going to be a step up in quality over the kit lenses (which are pretty good already). You'll get better sharper and higher quality images from the 50-200 without having to stop down, that little bit extra reach, faster focusing esp with the SWD version and at the same time get the weather proofing too.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Nov 27, 2009 at 6:39 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:29 PM   #5

The 50-200mm swd is a great lens you will notice a big diffrence in build qulity and weight. I do weddings with my Olympus kit and I only need two lenses to do the whole weddings 12-400mm with these two babies. one of the reason I stuck with Olympus. The weather proffing wont come into effect untill you upgrade to E3 but these lenses work a treat and are fast at focusing, some times have trouble with CAF like all systems they are pros and cons to each, what you need to learn is how you find how you get the best results from your setup.
Tell us what your main photography will be in and this might help what lense to go for.
It will be a large purchase but I think you will not be disapointed

www.BrianKirkwood.co.uk

All photoes taken with E3 OR E330 12-60mm swd, 50-200mm swd and sometimes with FL50 flash.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 5:18 AM   #6

Thanks Harj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Brian View Post
Tell us what your main photography will be in and this might help what lense to go for.
It will be a large purchase but I think you will not be disapointed

www.BrianKirkwood.co.uk

All photoes taken with E3 OR E330 12-60mm swd, 50-200mm swd and sometimes with FL50 flash.
Appreciate you sharing your experience with me. I have included in my signature my picture album. What I am wanting to do is produce Photos like the one Greg displayed with the background blurred out