Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 2, 2009, 7:45 AM   #1

Default Some pics using ACR

Based on posts by Greg Chappell discussing the benefits of using ACR to PP jpegs, I've started to look back at some bird images that I've posted on Smugmug and see if there would be any improvement to the detail and resolution by running them thru ACR.

Wow, was I surprised. Up to this point, I've always used PSE6.0 to PP all my images and removing noise with NeatImage. It's worked - to a point- and most of the time, I've been satisfied with the results.

When I got the IMac last week, I also got the latest PSE version 8.0 for photo editing. I remembered to download the ACR for Mac but hadn't used it.

Then Greg's post came along and I opened ACR and tried a few images. One of the benefits of PSE8 is that it is loaded with the CS4 browser, which in turn allows you to open an image then take it to ACR for post processing.

I'm not as well versed on the software as I should be. But the initial results are a significant improvement over my previous post processing results. The sliders in ACR really work wonderfully (100% mag) to adjust the level of detail, light, contrast, etc. to any image you're working on. Granted, I'm correcting things that I should have taken the time to properly set (exposure, aperture, metering etc.) in the camera before I snapped the shutter. However, since I'm a bit lazy and also not as educated as I should be, ACR is a wonderful tool to correct those omissions.

Here is an image after pp thru ACR
http://zig123.smugmug.com/Nature/bir...29868420_dNSx6

Here is the same image without ACR:
http://zig123.smugmug.com/Nature/bir...82381087_G6yDK

Sorry for not having the photos pop up when you open the post. I'm having a bit of trouble but am working to correct it.

First image is the one post processed using ACR

The second hopefully, will be the one post processed through PSE7.0

Zig
Attached Images

Last edited by zig-123; Dec 2, 2009 at 5:41 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2009, 9:21 AM   #2

It is a very nice way to work on JPEG's. The sliders allow you to make very small, incremental changes, especially the parametric curves window.

Working with JPEG's where information has already been discarded, the changes are not as smooth as working with a RAW file...contrast seems to build up faster so you can't make a lot of big changes, but the camera's processing system gets a lot right up front, so for the most part the need to make large adjustments is not there when it comes to working with JPEG's in ACR. Fortunately, the nature of the adjustment tools makes making small tweeks very easy, yet keeps the original file intact.

Working on the files in Photoshop and keeping adjustment layers requires saving the file as a large PSD or TIFF, so adjusting JPEG's in ACR also can save you lots of disk space if you want to retain adjustments with the ability to go back and tweek them later.

You've got some gorgeous images there, Zig.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 2, 2009 at 10:03 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:44 PM   #3

This is the image that was processed through PSE7 with no ACR.

Sorry for the foul ups on the images. Just trying to work thru how to attach images using smugmug,

Zig
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:54 PM   #4

Hi Greg,

Well, I've thoroughly butchered this post with photos in the wrong sequence, etc.

But I wanted to thank you for your response. I don't normally shot RAW so I'm not familiar with how much detail and information is missing from the Jpegs. But, it's worth taking a look at when I shoot birds tomorrow.

Actually, I'm going to see if I can set up the camera to shoot jpegs and RAW. That will be a more accurate comparison.

I haven't been able to play around with anymore files today. (Had too many items on the honey do list). Tomorrow sounds like a lousy day so I'll have a chance to mess around a bit with more old files and see what Improvements- if any- can be made to them with ACR.

P.S. to Bob; Thanks for the tip. I've tried it and it works - just haven't got it straightened out totally.

Zig
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

But I wanted to thank you for your response. I don't normally shot RAW so I'm not familiar with how much detail and information is missing from the Jpegs.

Zig
Probably not as much as I made it sound.

More importantly, I think the E620's JPEG engine is more efficient in the initial processing than I am, so tweeking a JPEG in ACR as needed is probably a better thing to do in the long-run. I'm just leaving the sharpening and contrast parameters set to -0- and tweeking them if needed in ACR to a level I want.

I really like what you did with that image in ACR. Both images are nice, but the detail in the bird really pops out in that adjusted version.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 2, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post

I really like what you did with that image in ACR. Both images are nice, but the detail in the bird really pops out in that adjusted version.
Hi Greg,
Thanks. I was concerned that the ACR image looks almost too sharp, or overly processed, on the screen. I decided to print both images at 8 x 10 on glossy stock to see what the results would be and interestingly, the ACR image didn't look at all over processed. The improvement was IMHO remarkable.

I'm just pleased that Adobe made this program available at no charge to users of their photo editing software.

Zig