Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:29 PM   #1

Default The Oly E-20 still rocks!

Caught in a real-estate bind, I've had most of my household goods in storage for 3 years. Just got them back and resurrected my E-20 today. I wanted to see if it is as good a DSLR as I remembered it being - it was the second Oly DSLR I bought (after the C2500L), back in early 2002. (I'm an early adopter of Oly cams.)

The sensor is tiny and only good for low ISOs but the lens, the lens is magnificent. 35-140mm (eq) f/2.0 - 2.4, internal focus and zoom, and very small (because of the small sensor).

So in a fit of enthusiasm I took it out today to shoot in a snowstorm. Here's an image at 140mm:
Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:38 AM   #2

......aahhhhh, the E-20! I missed that bugger but have yet to see a photo from one that did not cause me to think, why did I wait so long to buy an Oly (instead of those 'C' & 'K' makes).

Glad you got it unpacked & clicking.... for me, my Oly C7070WZ is always at the ready, complete with the FL-36 it makes a neat little package with great big results.

Sometimes the big pieces just aren't necessary..... we actually got snow here but it did not last long enough to make a picture.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:06 AM   #3

Default newer isn't always better.

Glad for both of you that you had the presence of mind to keep your earlier Oly models.
For me, my first Oly was the C-5060WZ. A fine example of a small walk around digicam with a good zoom range that fit in your pocket and produced excellent results. I stupidly sold it to a friend who still uses it (and loves it).

From time to time, I look at the photos that I took with it on different vacations and still marvel at how clean and sharp they are.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:41 PM   #4

I have to agree with all of your comments. Just wanted to add that I've had a bunch of Olys over the years, and the C-8080 is one of my all time favorites. I still have it and use it frequently. IMHO the C8080 lens is one of the finest around.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:05 PM   #5

Default More on the E-20

if you're not tired of this (grin).

The E-20, although a very advanced cam for its time (2002), did have a few faults. One is that the data bus is very slow so it takes forever to write an image to the CF card. The other (less important) is that the secondary card slot is the now deceased and unmourned SmartMedia card.

Some things are still not obsolete - the wired remote is the same as is used for the E-3. But the automated flash for that cam is the extraordinately expensive (for that time and for now) FL-40, which doesn't work on any subsequent E-volt cam. (Anyone want to buy mine? - grin)

Still, for daylight shooting it's a great compromise between size and lens range. Here is a photo of my E-20 (with its 35-140mm (eq) f/2.0 - 2.4, internal focus and zoom lens) next to the smallest ZD lens I own - the 11-22. Note that the lens is smaller than the camera...

Ted
Attached Images

Last edited by tkurkowski; Dec 7, 2009 at 5:08 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:10 AM   #6

Your E20 looks great and well preserved!
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

Some things are still not obsolete - the wired remote is the same as is used for the E-3. But the automated flash for that cam is the extraordinately expensive (for that time and for now) FL-40, which doesn't work on any subsequent E-volt cam. (Anyone want to buy mine? - grin)

Ted
Anyone using an E1 could use it, so the market for it is not totally gone. The FL40 will work in TTL, non-TTL Auto and manual modes with the E1.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:42 AM   #8

Thanks, Greg. I didn't know that.

Ted