Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:25 AM   #1

Default comparing the 70-300mm vs the 50mm 2.0

Just a quick and totally unscientific comparison of 2 images of the same subject. One taken using the 70-300mm with the other using the 50mm 2.0macro.

What precipitated the comparison was my surprise as to how good the images looked coming out of the 70-300mm. Out of curiosity, I decided to pull out an image of the same subject but taken with the 50mm ZDf2.0 macro.

What follows are 4 images with the 1st being the 70-300mm, the 2nd a 100% crop, the 3rd taken with the 50mm macro and the last a 100%crop.

The results just make me wish I hadn't sold my 50mm macro.
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:34 AM   #2

Just a quick follow up.

I'm not being critical of the 70-300mm as it has flexibility of ranging between the focal range of 70mm to 300mm- all the while in a small lightweight package that doesn't break your bank account. It also offers very good image quality while doing so. So, to me, it's a great lens.

The point of comparison was to take a look at how the IQ compares to the sharpest lens I've ever owned. And, the 50mm macro certainly doesn't disappoint.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

Zig, why??? Do you want to shoot your flies a lot?

I know how you feel (I sold mine), so let me try to help you here (grin).

1. We both feel that Oly glass is the best around. So there's a part of us that feels we should own the sharpest prime ZD lens. But that lens has quirky autofocus in normal shooting, and you need to be extremely close to the subject in macro mode. As Greg Chappell's excellent macro images demonstrate (as well as others on this forum), you're better off with a long lens and the EX-25 for most subjects.

2. We both follow the Oly forum on DPR, and can easily get sucked into the opinions of the prime lens aficionados there. But with an Oly regular 43 DSLR, the Oly high-quality zooms are like having a bunch of primes. (There was a guy who said that in one DPR thread in which the prime lens afficionados were whining about the lack of a range of primes, and of course he got slammed. But he was correct.)

3. I can see why folks might like a pocketable 43 cam and some primes to go with it - I know that appeals to you. But if you get one, the 50mm f2 wouldn't be as useful to you as 43 prime lenses would be, unless you're dead set on manual focus.

4. I sold my 50mm to pay for part of the 14-35 f/2 I got as a good deal as a used one from B&H. I don't regret that for a minute. If you sold yours to get the E-30, do you really regret that?

Personally, I'm with Greg-the-Texan (Jeeeze - I'm agreeing with a Texan - what has this world come to?) in that I really want to use a DSLR, which is why I just bought the rangefinder-look Panny L1 on Ebay to go with my PL 25mm f/1.4. I mention this because I had owned the L1 and have deeply regretted selling that cam, so I do understand how someone can regret selling a good piece of gear.

Does this help (grin).

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Dec 11, 2009 at 4:39 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Zig, why??? Do you want to shoot your flies a lot?

Ted
I shoot flies alot

I guess it comes down to how you use a camera. The 50 f2 gets alot of use for me.

I'll agree, though. Its the last lens I reach for if I need low light autofocus. Its the most frustrating lens in my kit for locking in all but good light.

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Dec 11, 2009 at 6:06 PM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
That comparison makes me think how nice the 70-300 does here.

I'll be the last to sell my 50 macro, but I've seen too many great pics with the 70-300 to sell it short. Its a very good, versatile performer.

Greg
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I shoot flies alot

Greg
OK but you're not helping me get Zig onto a 12-step program regarding his selling his 50mm (grin).

Ted
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:56 PM   #7

Quote:
OK but you're not helping me get Zig onto a 12-step program regarding his selling his 50mm (grin).

Ted
Its a lot better to want one of those than something like the 300 f2.8

All kidding aside, the best way to get over the 50 f2 is.... Drum roll please.....

Get a 35-100:-)

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Dec 11, 2009 at 7:03 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Its a lot better to want one of those than something like the 300 f2.8.

All kidding aside, the best way to get over the 50 f2 is.... Drum roll please.....

Get a 35-100:-)

Greg
Hah! The problem Zig has is that he'd love both of those lenses, with good reason for the photography he does. So we just need to support him in unloading the stuff he doesn't use. Although we all would need to unload maybe an extra (pretty good) automobile to get the 300 f2.8 - not sure we can help him there...

Ted
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:16 PM   #9

Quote:
I shoot flies alot

Greg
BTW, I love those images of the flies. But you didn't shoot those with the 50mm, right? So I'm curious about what you do use the 50mm for.

Ted
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:28 PM   #10

Quote:
BTW, I love those images of the flies. But you didn't shoot those with the 50mm, right? So I'm curious about what you do use the 50mm for.

Ted
I used the Zuiko 70mm f2.8 macro...

In other words, the 50 f2 tied to the EC-14 converter.

Other uses...

Plant pics.

Dog pics, of course.

And more dog pics

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Dec 11, 2009 at 7:38 PM.