Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:58 AM   #1

Default Slow sync exposure control with E-520 and Metz

I have an E-520 and a Metz 48 AF-1. I read the manuals on both items regarding flash control but am a little confused still as to the correct or easier way to slew the amount of flash power verses ambient light used.

Whats the proper or quickest method, do it on the flash, or on the camera ?
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:22 AM   #2

You balance flash vs. ambient light by how you set the CAMERA's exposure (assuming you're not manually controlling the flash power). Let's say the ambient exposure is ISO 800 f4.0 1/6. Now, if you set the camera's settings to ISO 100 f5.6 1/50 you're setting it 7 stops below ambient. The flash has to compensate for 7 stops - you're going to have no ambient light in the photo. If you set the camera for ISO 800 f4.0 1/25 that's only 2 stops below ambient - you'll have some ambient light (but little).

So, the closer the camera's exposure is to ambient the more ambient light will contribute to the exposure.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:12 AM   #3

OK. I had assumed there was something more clever built in to the camera body. So it's manual control or nothing by the sound of it.

I notice the flash settings in the main function display shows an adjustable flash exposure box (under the flash mode symbol box). I thought it might have the effect I wanted in slow sync, but it seems to just adjust the flash power and the total exposure goes with it. Using the main exposure compensation control does the same thing too. I guess I need to do more reading or experiments when I get time. Too many other hobbies....
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:22 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I'm not totally sure of how Oly uses exposure modes with flash but there is a good chance that if you are in Av when using flash that the camera will still try to get a proper exposure for the ambient light, you can then under expose the shot with exposure composition and then the flash should expose your subject correctly. Like I say, I'm not sure if Oly does work this way but give it a bash.

However, you are still far better off doing flash photography in manual mode as it lets you have much more control over the finished result.

Last edited by Mark1616; Dec 16, 2009 at 3:24 AM.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
a little confused still as to the correct or easier way to slew the amount of flash power verses ambient light used.

Whats the proper or quickest method, do it on the flash, or on the camera ?
I thought it might have the effect I wanted in slow sync
What are you trying to do since you're using "slow sync"...are you trying to drag the shutter, or just balance flash with ambient?

There's lots of tutorials online that can be found by Googling BALANCING TTL FLASH AMBIENT, like this one:
http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/f...g-the-shutter/

Quote:
OK. I had assumed there was something more clever built in to the camera body. So it's manual control or nothing by the sound of it.
The thing is, if you want something better than an average image you have to take control and TELL the camera what you want.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote