Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
(if there is an ad, I don't endorse it.)

It is about that time of the year, and I thought it would be to share photos from the last year. I'm not looking for technical perfection. I'm not looking for the sharpest or anything of the sort. I'm looking for pics that YOU took and like from this year for whatever reason.

I'm getting ready for some house cleaning on the computer and archiving some and trashing some clunkers. I'll be contributing as the process continues.

Hope I'm not the only one...

A few to follow this post.

Greg
I need to buy a new external drive. The two I have are virtually full and undersized in today's world where you can get a 1TB drive for $100, if not less. Right now I'm doing what I said I would never do....using my computer's 750GB drive.

Hard to think about "best" images. No doubt I'll load a couple and tomorrow find a few more I like better but forgot about.

This was a goal Mike Ribeiro scored where he shot the puck from between his legs!

and I had to pick one of these..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 5:08 AM   #22

Wow, What a great collection of images submitted so far. Too many posted to comment individually but they're all super and I hope there's more to come.

Edge, I do have to say that I remember some of the images you posted in the past of various firearms and the ones you've posted here are really very impressive. They look like something straight out of a magazine.

Greg (from the great north), Thanx for coming up with this post.

Gotta go get my coffee now.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:44 AM   #23

Default Wow. its been busy overnight

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing. The response is more than I imagined.

I want to comment on everyone's, and I hope it ok to do so in one reply.

Ted, I'm ok with the 2008 thing, but I don't know if the parrot kiss is suitable for the forum. That Scarlet Macaw is leading that kiss with its tongue.

Kidding aside, the man has a way with the birds. I've seen what those birds can break up with their beaks and it would be awile before I would trust like that.

The floral pic says you should get out more so you can share more like THAT!.

Jennlynn, Rascal looks like a "Cat With Attitude" that you captured perfectly. Congratulations on your new camera and welcome aboard. Thanks for sharing and I think everyone here will agree, we look forward to more anytime you want.

Edge, Thanks for sharing also. Its amazing how a pic of a firearm can trigger (pun intended) emotion. I have a love for them, and used to have several rifles, pistols, and a shotgun. I'm down to a single shot 22 and a couple over-under shotguns used in my hunting and training dogs. I havent chambered a round in the 22 in quite sone time, as I also have the RWS model 52 air rifle that is more suitable for use in the subdivision I live in.

I would love to hear about the lighting on the last pic, also.

Sarah, Thanks for getting out and grabbing that sea scape. It makes me chilly looking at it, but I wish I was there.

Greg, What do I say. Everything you post is outstanding. I don't know what you consider your day job, but your sports shots are as good as anything I've seen from the pros. Your composition is fantastic, sports and non-sport. Thanks for sharing and it was great to see the shot from the track. I was missing those.

Greg (the Northern One)

Last edited by fldspringer; Dec 13, 2009 at 10:59 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:01 AM   #24

Default No bird pics yet

Except for Ted's wet kiss parrot pic, where are the birds. My two favorites are...

E-3/50-200/EC-14

Also from the E-3/50-200/EC-14 at 283mm

And a bullfrog for extra measure. If you want to know what f2 looks like with the 35-100, here it is... at 93mm

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:09 AM   #25

Some great sports shots there Greg.
tedmcardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:33 AM   #26

Quote:

Edge, Thanks for sharing also. Its amazing how a pic of a firearm can trigger (pun intended) emotion. I have a love for them, and used to have several rifles, pistols, and a shotgun. I'm down to a single shot 22 and a couple over-under shotguns used in my hunting and training dogs. I havent champered a round in the 22 in quite sone time, as I also have the RWS model 52 air rifle that is more suitable for use in the subdivision I live in.

I would love to hear about the lighting on the last pic, also

Greg (the Northern One)
nothing special Greg, these flowers sit nestled between two trees and see very little direct sunlight, I just happened to catch the right moment I suppose.
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:33 AM   #27

As Northern Greg said we had more wonderful photos overnight. Wow! They all look really great. Congratulations to all for posting such excellent photos.

Have a great day. Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Ted, I'm ok with the 2008 thing, but I don't know if the parrot kiss is suitable for the forum. That Scarlet Macaw is leading that kiss with its tongue.

Kidding aside, the man has a way with the birds. I've seen what those birds can break up with their beaks and it would be awile before I would trust like that.

Greg (the Northern One)
Then you're part way to understanding that photo. It's in the Garuda Aviary, which is our avian rescue aviary for parrots that have been abandoned by their owners and have therefore become incredibly neurotic. Rigzin has developed a relationship with them. The birds let me in the flight cage but that particular macaw is the guardian of the flock - if Rigzin isn't holding her she runs around the floor of the flight cage and nips my heels to remind me that I'm only partially accepted. As you say, if she was really threatened by me I would have lost my achilles tendons.

PS: One of our rescued macaws is on the endangered species list and sells for $10K on the black market. Unbelievable what's going on in the parrot market in the US.

Quote:
The floral pic says you should get out more so you can share more like THAT!.Greg (the Northern One)
Yep - you're right on that.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Dec 13, 2009 at 2:33 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 3:10 PM   #29

Hi Guys and Gals

Some really fab pics being posted so far and its always hard to pick out what your personal favourite shots the year's going to be and its also nice to see some new faces showing their pics too!

I've been like Ted this year and only getting to shoot rarely ... a few studio shoots and the odd time out on the street. Hope to fix that this year but for now I need to work out what pics to post.

This thread got me wondering why we never did this last year and the year before !!??

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:37 PM   #30

Wow: Was kind of busy and had not checked the forum, and now look at all the great shots that has been posted.

Favorite shots of 2009 is a good way to close out the year.
Reserving the right to think about it some more, I'll be glad to add a few off the top of my head. While I can't compete with the two Gregs, zig, Gary, BoBB, and all the regulars, I did have a few that I enjoyed taking this year.

1. How do you shoot an icon that must have been the subject of a billion photos and still give it a somewhat fresh view?? My take on the symbol of EPCOT.

2. A mother butterfly laying her eggs:

3. Alligator stole a fish from a Heron

4. Alligator eye

5. You looking at me??

6. Rose (early morning grab shot of neighbors rose bush; no pp.)

7. (Nothing spectacular here- I just like the colors and textures of this flower.)

8. And of course, always get a photo of a Florida sunset every year.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote