Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:54 AM   #31
Super Moderator

Everyone,

There are far too many wonderful photos to individually comment on. So I just wanted to say that it was a real pleasure to see examples of your favorite photos of 2009. Every one of them is fantastic in its own right. Thanks for sharing this, I will be sure to check each update on this thread.

Happy Holidays,
Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 4:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Then you're part way to understanding that photo. It's in the Garuda Aviary, which is our avian rescue aviary for parrots that have been abandoned by their owners and have therefore become incredibly neurotic. Rigzin has developed a relationship with them. The birds let me in the flight cage but that particular macaw is the guardian of the flock - if Rigzin isn't holding her she runs around the floor of the flight cage and nips my heels to remind me that I'm only partially accepted. As you say, if she was really threatened by me I would have lost my achilles tendons.

PS: One of our rescued macaws is on the endangered species list and sells for $10K on the black market. Unbelievable what's going on in the parrot market in the US.

Ted
Ted, I'd like to thank you for the story behind the photo.

I can imagine that rescue for parrots would be in a class by itself. First I'd guess that there would be the "I'm rich and I want one" syndrome and when they tire of the noise and demands they want nothing to do with it anymore.

That, coupled with the lifespan of the bird. I'm 50 years old and I decided to buy one of these, odds are the bird will live twice as long as I do. Its a bit mind boggeling. That and they do become attached to their handler.

Anyway, thanks for the pic and story. In the photo I see two content birds, at least for that moment.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:07 AM   #33

Default Thank you Steven.

As far as I can tell, your photos stand up very well to the rest. That closeup of the pelican (i think) is fantastic. The butterfly, I think, is perfect. The alligator pics make me want to back up V-E-R-Y slowly, but the detail is outstanding.

All great contributions.

Greg
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:19 AM   #34

Default I'm not done yet

The first chance I've had to shoot a mantis.

Another Spider

And my favorite bee pic of the year.

All shot w/ E-3/50 f2/EC-14

Greg
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:56 PM   #35

Not sure they're my best but a couple of my favorites
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Ted, I'd like to thank you for the story behind the photo.

I can imagine that rescue for parrots would be in a class by itself. First I'd guess that there would be the "I'm rich and I want one" syndrome and when they tire of the noise and demands they want nothing to do with it anymore.

That, coupled with the lifespan of the bird. I'm 50 years old and I decided to buy one of these, odds are the bird will live twice as long as I do. Its a bit mind boggeling. That and they do become attached to their handler.

Anyway, thanks for the pic and story. In the photo I see two content birds, at least for that moment.

Greg
Greg, thanks for that reply. Unlike most folks in the US, you really do understand the background of that photo. The lifespan of parrots is typically 75 years without predators. But they're flock animals (just like dogs are pack animals) so they go nuts cooped in a cage. The parrots we've rescued had become so neurotic that they plucked out their feathers. The sad thing is that they're way more intelligent than any other animal (parrots can compose and speak simple sentences that are independent thoughts, not mimics of what they've heard), so their frustration in a cage is deeper than other animals.

Not meaning to preach here, just that I appreciate your understanding. And you're right that the macaws you see in that photo are happy. They love that outdoor flight cage even though they can't fly - they have to be carried out every day. (They can't fly because their wings were intentionally broken as babies, before they were shoved into a PVC pipe to be smuggled into the US.) Jeeeeez.

Anyway that's why that photo, mediocre though it is, is one of my favorites.

Ted

[Edit] PS: if you want to see more photos of our aviary, go here:

http://tkurkowski.smugmug.com/Tibeta.../Garuda-Aviary

I have little control over lighting or composition, especially while I'm watching out for that scarlet macaw before she nips my heels, so those are the best I can do (grin). Also, "flight cage" isn't a good description - none of those birds can fly, for the reason I noted above.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Dec 14, 2009 at 6:00 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:46 AM   #37

Absolutely stunning photos posted in this thread.

I have had the E-510 for only 5 months now and I'm relatively new to photography but these are some of my favs:

Name:  PB225373.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  170.6 KB

Name:  PB275499.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  108.6 KB

Name:  Shogran.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  P7292006.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  PB305702.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  227.8 KB
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 4:07 PM   #38

A few from me (ok.. quiet a few if u tag on the fashionshots!) .. pretty hard to choose considering I hardly got out and about this year:

1. Sunset over the embankment

2. Mind the "Poop" step lads! - Buckingham Palace

3. "Right to Shoot"

4. "I'm a Photographer and not a terrorist"

5. "Celebrations..."

6. "Bandits at 11o'clock high"

A few fashion pics to come later ...

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 4:12 PM   #39

As I did more studio work in 2009 than anything else and thats pretty shocking.. I thought I'd add a few from those..

1. SnowQueen

2. Vaniety Fair Pin up

3. Angels and Curves

4. Abit of Beauty

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Dec 15, 2009 at 5:18 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:24 PM   #40

.........more & More && MORE !!!!! great stuff, this is the best thread in the current Steve's forums. I'll bet there are yet more coming too.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote