Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:28 PM   #11

It would be interesting to know what type filters the poster in the link at DPReview used. He definitely had no issues with shaded corners, he was using the 12-60 Zuiko, and the images look to have been shot more towards the wider end of the zoom range.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:10 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It would be interesting to know what type filters the poster in the link at DPReview used. He definitely had no issues with shaded corners, he was using the 12-60 Zuiko, and the images look to have been shot more towards the wider end of the zoom range.
It could be OK with the Cokin P series as the lens is a 72mm filter but personally I would double check as it can be a little annoying. It would only be at the very widest that you could get it everything else would be fine. I just wanted to highlight it as a possible problem, not to put you off but just to ensure there were not surprises.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:35 AM   #13

You definitely should go for the "P" size Cokin filters for the 12-60 since it has a filter diameter of 72mm...the smaller "A" size Cokins are for less than 62mm diameter. There may be some risk of vignetting from 12-14mm...this page explains it all:
http://cokin.fr/ico5-p1.html

Realize though you only need one set of filters for all your lenses...you can get the mounts for smaller lens diameters.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It could be OK with the Cokin P series as the lens is a 72mm filter but personally I would double check as it can be a little annoying. It would only be at the very widest that you could get it everything else would be fine. I just wanted to highlight it as a possible problem, not to put you off but just to ensure there were not surprises.
I wound up asking the OP in that DPReview forum and the answer sounds like what you said except he uses the Lee brand..

I use a set of Lee soft grads (0.3,0.6,0.9 1,2 and 3 stop) with a Lee adaptor (you also need a 72mm 'wide' filter ring with the 12-60 otherwise vignetting will occur at 12mm
Cheers Steve...
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:39 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
I wound up asking the OP in that DPReview forum and the answer sounds like what you said except he uses the Lee brand..

I use a set of Lee soft grads (0.3,0.6,0.9 1,2 and 3 stop) with a Lee adaptor (you also need a 72mm 'wide' filter ring with the 12-60 otherwise vignetting will occur at 12mm
Cheers Steve...
Cool, I'm almost impressed that I knew something related to landscape photography LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Cool, I'm almost impressed that I knew something related to landscape photography LOL.
When I said "lens", that's about what it takes to put together a set like that, although it's amazing how you think differently about certain things.

That Lee filter set, with the wide adaptor ring, runs around $360 at B&H, which is a relatively inexpensive price for a "lens", but when I use that price in the context of filters, cheap isn't the terms that comes to mind!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:47 AM   #17

Quote:
When I said "lens", that's about what it takes to put together a set like that, although it's amazing how you think differently about certain things.

That Lee filter set, with the wide adaptor ring, runs around $360 at B&H, which is a relatively inexpensive price for a "lens", but when I use that price in the context of filters, cheap isn't the terms that comes to mind!

This is one of those instances where I would consider taking a chance on getting a filter set from a supplier on Ebay. The price difference is that dramatic.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote