Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Default E620 Art Filters

I had a chance to play around a little bit with a couple of the E-620's built-in art filters. It's a pretty overcast day so I didn't attempt many.

Pinhole camera effect

Soft focus effect
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:56 AM   #2

The art filters and a fun, quick way to create a special effect you can see at once, and it gives you something else to think about. I find myself looking for subjects that would benefit from my two favorites, the pop art and soft focus effects.

I like the application of the pinhole filter as you used it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:02 PM   #3

Default Nice work

I agree with Greg,

The pin hole effect works well with the first photo. I also very much like to use the soft focus filter on portrait shots. It really adds a nice touch to a head shot. I do find that you have to play around a bit with the exposure because mine have a tendency to come out a little over exposed.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:18 PM   #4

Thanks, guys. I was reminded on another forum that these effects can be done with almost any PP software. True, but I it's kind of cool to have it in the camera.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:28 PM   #5

...well, none of my cameras have such filters so PP software is my only choice. I like seeing what y'all do with the filters so keep at it.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
...well, none of my cameras have such filters so PP software is my only choice. I like seeing what y'all do with the filters so keep at it.
Presumably the next E-X will have them. But dunno if I can afford to replace the E-3 with one...

ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:43 AM   #7

Personally I wish the Art modes were on a menu item instead of the mode dial, since when using the Art mode it forces you to use an "Auto" mode and you lose control the camera. Would be nice if it was with the options for Vivid, Natural, Muted, Monochrome, etc.

My experience was with using the art modes on the E-P1 and E-P2.

I guess though you could use Oly's RAW software since it's supposed to enable the Art Mode filters dropdown when working with a camera that supports them (from what I've READ).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:09 AM   #8

On the E-620 you can use Vivid, Natural, Muted, and Monochrome in custom, in fact for B&W the custom works better than the art filter.
whitepass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
Personally I wish the Art modes were on a menu item instead of the mode dial, since when using the Art mode it forces you to use an "Auto" mode and you lose control the camera. Would be nice if it was with the options for Vivid, Natural, Muted, Monochrome, etc.

My experience was with using the art modes on the E-P1 and E-P2.

I guess though you could use Oly's RAW software since it's supposed to enable the Art Mode filters dropdown when working with a camera that supports them (from what I've READ).
That's a good point mike. One of my frustrations with the art filters has been that the camera defaults to auto and you lose any of the few setting changes that you were able to make each time you power down. As an example, I almost always reduce the number of AF points used to the 4 diamond pattern or simply the single center point. If you use a flash, any of those settings are erased as well.

Seems to me that's an area where Olympus could make a relatively straightforward firmware change that would at least allow the settings to be kept in memory after shutdown.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
That's a good point mike. One of my frustrations with the art filters has been that the camera defaults to auto and you lose any of the few setting changes that you were able to make each time you power down. As an example, I almost always reduce the number of AF points used to the 4 diamond pattern or simply the single center point. If you use a flash, any of those settings are erased as well.

Zig
That really sucks - it would make me crazy to lose my default settings that way.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote