Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2009, 7:53 PM   #1

Default Total newbie

Hey all. I am a total newbie to photography. Well maybe not completely. I had a film SLR many many years ago, and have forgotten most things.

I have a Ricoh DC-2 digital point and shoot type camera. Its gotta be over 10 years old and I don't think there is anything "mega" about the pixels
The software is for Win95 yep, Win95. It works on my XP box, but that will probably be the last of it.

Anyways on to the future! I decided to step way up and go for the Oly E-30. Just ordered it tonight. The standard camera kit with the 14-42mm lens. If things go well with the tax refund - I'll be looking at the 55-300 lens. I am really enjoying Gary's shots with it.

I have a long way to go. Do y'all want a total newbie here or would you rather wait till I have a few months under my belt? It is OK to say come back later - I would understand.

--Tim
tames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tames View Post
Hey all. I am a total newbie to photography. Well maybe not completely. I had a film SLR many many years ago, and have forgotten most things.

I have a Ricoh DC-2 digital point and shoot type camera. Its gotta be over 10 years old and I don't think there is anything "mega" about the pixels
The software is for Win95 yep, Win95. It works on my XP box, but that will probably be the last of it.

Anyways on to the future! I decided to step way up and go for the Oly E-30. Just ordered it tonight. The standard camera kit with the 14-42mm lens. If things go well with the tax refund - I'll be looking at the 55-300 lens. I am really enjoying Gary's shots with it.

I have a long way to go. Do y'all want a total newbie here or would you rather wait till I have a few months under my belt? It is OK to say come back later - I would understand.

--Tim
Thanks very much for your kind words! You'll be surprised at how you'll just slip into that E-30. Especially, after you get the 70-300!

Speaking for myself, stick around and post what ya got! If you want to get on the fast track REALLY fast, pick up Scott Kelby's "Digital Photography Book" trilogy and Brian Peterson's "Understanding Exposure". Kelby will have you shooting like a pro within 48 hours... not kidding. Peterson will having you understand why you're doing it. Both very easy reads. As far as software, there's TONS of free stuff out there to get you going. Gimp and Picasa are just a couple to start out with.

Welcome aboard!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Dec 15, 2009 at 8:08 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:10 PM   #3

Quote:

--Tim
Hi Tim,

And welcome aboard. BTW congrats on getting the E-30. I hope you have as much fun using it as I do mine.
I think the lens you may be referring to is the 70-300mm not a 55-300mm.

As for you being a newbie, well, we've all walked in your shoes. So, don't be bashful about jumping in. Post a few pics to share when you get your E-30 and by all means ask as many questions as you want. This a forum to share ideas, discuss techniques and along the way we all learn from each other.
Oh, and we have some fun too!!!!

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:26 PM   #4

hi Tim,
.............welcome to the modern digi photo world! While I don't have an E-30 some 'regulars' here do and exclaim the merits/features of it.

I second Gary's recommendation of the books, particularly Brian Peterson's Understanding Exposure.

Please do 'stick around'.... we have a good time in this forum, there is a critique forum for that but his forum is all about sharing our experiences, talking Oly dSLR gear, sharing photos made with it and seeing each other progress in our own endeavor of photography.

thanks for joining in and do post often
_________
boBBrennan

PS. Often a new member will make a post expecting a response only to find a growing view count with no reply post, often 100 or more to 1 or none replies. This is normal for us all for any post we make............... just wanted you to know 'it is a normal thing' and to expect it to happen. There is nothing meant, as there are a lot of non-registered viewers who only read the posts but being non-registered are not allowed to make threads or to reply.

.......enjoy
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:29 PM   #5

..hey Zig,

We actually show signs of thinking alike, suppose it is the 'generation grouping' syndrome.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
..hey Zig,

We actually show signs of thinking alike, suppose it is the 'generation grouping' syndrome.
Hi Bob,

Perhaps the old adage of "Great minds think alike" works in our case?

Zig
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:45 AM   #7

Default A couple of more resources to take bookmark

Hi Tim,

In addition to the great books that Gary's mentioned, a few online resources that I suggest you bookmark are:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html

Wrotniak.net is managed by a fellow named Andrzej Wrotniak provides a tremendous amount of technical information on all things having to do with Olympus E-series dslrs including the E-30. A great site to visit to shorten the learning curve.

Another good site to refer to for anything to do with Olympus cameras is managed by a Englishman by the name of John Foster. His site is:

http://www.biofos.com/

And last, I would suggest you downloading, if you haven't already, a copy of the E-30 users manual directly from Olympus USA. It's a much easier way of getting to the answers of many of the questions you'll have.

Zig
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:31 AM   #8

Hi there, Tim-

Welcome to the Forum, and welcome to the Olympus DSLR folder. We're pleased you dropped by.

Congratulations as well on your new E-30. Wow! Are you going to have fun. And yes, I also agree that the Zukio 70-300mm lens is a wonderful addition to your arsenal.

Feel free to post some photos. Also know that we are here to help in any way possible.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:28 PM   #9

Thanks all for the welcome. The E-30 arrived today! Whew it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

I am going to order that 70-300mm lens soon.

I actually went out and bought the Scott Kelby trio just before I saw your post So good choice there. I also picked up Fundamentals of Photography by Tom Ang.

Reading through Kelby, I am finding that I wish a little more was explained. I am just that way. Ang's book is very detailed - gotta read that one slowly.
tames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks all for the welcome. The E-30 arrived today! Whew it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

I am going to order that 70-300mm lens soon.

I actually went out and bought the Scott Kelby trio just before I saw your post So good choice there. I also picked up Fundamentals of Photography by Tom Ang.

Reading through Kelby, I am finding that I wish a little more was explained. I am just that way. Ang's book is very detailed - gotta read that one slowly.
Petersons book is probably right down the middle. Since I just started shooting in Manual a few weeks ago, I'm rereading it. It's been over a year since I skimmed through it. At my age, it'll be all new to me!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote