Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:44 PM   #1

Default Something funny happened along the way.......

Greg's great post on asking everyone to submit their favorite photos of 2009, prompted me, as I'm sure other's, to review the photos that I took the past 12 months.

When I happened to review the bird photos I happened to notice that all my favorites were taken using the E-510 dslr using the 50-200mm lens Non SWD.
To me they were very sharp, colors just seemed right, and resolution was there.

Now that's not to say that I'm trading in the E-30 anytime soon. It's just an observation that with the release of the E-620 and E-30, the pricing of the E-520 kits have plummeted and used E-510s are going for a song. There are a bunch of people out there that will get a great deal on one of the E-5xx series cameras.

A few of examples taken with the E-510 and the 50-200mm ED lens
which by the way are my favorites as well:
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:57 PM   #2

Excellent shots all, Zig! Interesting to note, that of the ones I submitted 2 were shot with an SP590UZ (sold it to offset the cost of the E-620), not a DSLR. Mainly, because I came on the DSLR scene kind of late this year (late summer) and whilst I had a lot of what I consider really good shots, the ones submitted were my favs.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:20 PM   #3

[QUOTE=zig-123;1028480]

When I happened to review the bird photos I happened to notice that all my favorites were taken using the E-510 dslr using the 50-200mm lens Non SWD.
To me they were very sharp, colors just seemed right, and resolution was there.

QUOTE]

When the E520 first came out, it was observed by many over at DPReview that the low pass filter over the sensor had been strengthened as files from the E520 seemed softer overall than from the E510, and many E500 and E510 users as a result never moved up to the newer model.

I never noticed it that much in using both models. Operationally the E520 was a great improvement as you no longer had to keep the noise filter turned off to avoid overly soft images, or sharpening set to -2 to avoid overly sharp images, and the exposure system of the E520 was much more reliable, but when a file was exposed properly with an E510, there's no denying it was sharp, so I think there must have been something right in that story about the sensor filter.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:21 PM   #4

Nice photos, Zig-

The Oly 50-200mm lens is hard to beat.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:17 AM   #5

Thanks Gary, Greg, Sarah for the comments.

Greg,

I remember you posting many impressive photos taken with the E-520 and thinking it might be the time to upgrade to the E-520. The DR problems appeared to be corrected and the images you posted certainly didn't appear soft at anytime. What held me back was that it just didn't have the features I was really missing- a better AF system, faster frame rate and a larger viewfinder. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the E-30 as I'm sure you are with your E-620.

Zig
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:38 PM   #6

Default A comparison of the output of the E-30 vs the E-510

I thought it might prove interesting to compare the images taken with the E-510 against one or two taken with the E-30.

Here's an image taken today. Pretty much straight out of the camera. I tweaked the white balance a little bit and the clarity slider in Adobe ACR. Other than that its out of the camera as is-no cropping, etc.
Zig
Attached Images

Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:57 PM   #7

The branch perch you now use is much more asthetically pleasing!

The E30 and E620's metering systems seem to be much more geared towards slight underexposure with not nearly as high a default amount of contrast, where you really had to be careful to not clip highlights with the E510. It makes being able to apply adjustments to JPEG's much easier, with better results.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The branch perch you now use is much more asthetically pleasing!

The E30 and E620's metering systems seem to be much more geared towards slight underexposure with not nearly as high a default amount of contrast, where you really had to be careful to not clip highlights with the E510. It makes being able to apply adjustments to JPEG's much easier, with better results.
Yes Greg, the branch is certainly a better choice than the piece of teak I was using. It only took a year and a suggestion from Bynx for the improvement, LOL.

I don't know about the E-620, but with the E-30, I find that I'm almost always using the fill light slider or the exposure slider to brighten the image. The other adjustments that I typically make is bringing up the clarity a bit, then sharpening last and then only a slight amount.

As opposed to the E-510, where I set my default settings for contrast to -1 and usually underexposed to prevent blown highlights I now simply leave sharpness and contrast at 0. I find myself not worrying about clipping at all these days.

Your tip on using Adobe ACR to clean up jpegs has really made a difference in the amount of time I spend on doing PP on my images. It's a great tool.
It leads me to think about getting CS4 just to see what else I'm missing.

Zig
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Yes Greg, the branch is certainly a better choice than the piece of teak I was using. It only took a year and a suggestion from Bynx for the improvement, LOL.

I don't know about the E-620, but with the E-30, I find that I'm almost always using the fill light slider or the exposure slider to brighten the image. The other adjustments that I typically make is bringing up the clarity a bit, then sharpening last and then only a slight amount.

As opposed to the E-510, where I set my default settings for contrast to -1 and usually underexposed to prevent blown highlights I now simply leave sharpness and contrast at 0. I find myself not worrying about clipping at all these days.

Your tip on using Adobe ACR to clean up jpegs has really made a difference in the amount of time I spend on doing PP on my images. It's a great tool.
It leads me to think about getting CS4 just to see what else I'm missing.

Zig
Exactly the same on the E-620, Zig. If I'm clipping, it's nowhere NEAR the magnitude I was before. Just gotta watch the meter closer. heheheh
I was kind of surprised at how little I had to do.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote