Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:42 PM   #11

Here are two examples from the concert. You can tell I definitely need longer range and faster lenses
Attached Images

jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:44 PM   #12

Default a slightly different approach

Hi Jacob,

It just ocurred to me that you are located in Austin, TX. Not sure if you're familiar with a fellow by the name of Kirk Tuck who also hails from Austin. He is an accomplished pro photographer who has published books and also runs workshops on various aspects of the craft with a special emphasis on lighting. He has a blog that he manages:

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/

One other point that should be mentioned is that he uses olympus dslrs - among them the E-30. I recall his writing articles fairly recently on photograhing a theatrical production using the 35-100mm f2.

You may want to view his site. I know he accepts comments and responds to questions on his site. Attending one of his workshops might be just the ticket to getting the results your looking for.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:22 PM   #13

Hi Zig,

Thanks a lot. Great suggestion, I will look into his blog and finally learn something from there.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobt View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I have both E510 and E30 camera bodies. I will use the EC for E30. I guess Mark is correct, with the 50-200 mm lens why do I need the EC-20 with 35-100? My answer to this is, the 67mm vs 77mm lens diameters. I assume that 77mm lens should give me better IQ in low light condition compare with 67mm lens. I may also use the EC-20 with the 50-200 to extended my max range to 400.

I took a lot pics for my daughter's indoor music concert which even with F2 lens, lighting is always a major concern. That's the main reason I purchased the 35-100. But the zoom range became a problem while I sit down there in the audience section. That's why I'm considering the EC-20 for my purpose, looks like I have no choice but bite the bullet and go for the $$$ 300mm F2.8
Perhaps you need to look at the 150 f2. It has the brightness; it has more reach than the 35-100, but less flexability. As a side note, its a prime that might handle the TCs better (sharpness) than something like the 35-100.

I'd guess that the 35-100/EC-20 combo would have no advantage over the 50-200 out of the box. I doubt the IQ difference would be in the 35-100 favor, and the 50-200 would have a very slight speed advantage at the long end.

Another option would be the 70-200 f2.8 Sigma in four-thirds mount. It would be marginally brighter than the 50-200.

I want to get the EC-20, but I believe my use with it would be limited to the 50 macro for magnification, and my 300 f2.8 for reach.

Before you "bite the bullet" and pick up the big Zuiko, rent one first. Its a fantastic lens that is a big handfull. Impressive, but inconvienent.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:42 AM   #15

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your comments/suggestions. I have always enjoyed the dogs pics you posted here.

After reading all the replies, I realize the EC-20 will not help me much at low light condition. I may just buy it to help me on the 50 F2 for macros or use it for the reach at outdoor shooting.

I did consider the 150mm F2, but I've learned my lesson by carrying the 35-100 around. It is bulky and heavy, my hands start shaking after 5 shots w/o the tripods. So I might just live with the 50-200 by turn up the ISO and use the noise filter for low light shooting