Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:14 AM   #1

Default Photographer winter gloves

Just wondering if anyone in here used specialty gloves for winter shooting.

My current gloves, which are regular winter gloves and would not help me shoot in sub zero temperatures. I'm thinking of attending a motorsports rally this winter while lugging my E-620. I figured I should start investigating this before hand.
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:56 AM   #2

............I would look at these for that purpose http://tinyurl.com/ygw48h4

I believe these and mittens on a lanyard would work well. Brings back memories of many years ago when I lived and worked the outdoors winter time in the Red Lake district.

I would not have been able to work a camera in the 15-30 below temps but hunting, trapping and working timber was not too bad, just cold!!!
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:36 PM   #3

Hey Bob

Those look very good and I might have to go and get a pair..

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Just wondering if anyone in here used specialty gloves for winter shooting.

My current gloves, which are regular winter gloves and would not help me shoot in sub zero temperatures. I'm thinking of attending a motorsports rally this winter while lugging my E-620. I figured I should start investigating this before hand.
How will you protect your E620?

I'm not so sure it would survive too long at those temperatures. The E3 most likely would, but I'm not so sure about the E620....or the E30 for that matter.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:00 PM   #5

The way I was explained was that you keep it inside your coat when not using it - yes, very primitive but it worked the last time (I had the Canon S2 then). However, I wonder how I'll be able to conceal the 70-300 in my already snug coat?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:39 PM   #6

The most danger is taking the camera back into the warmth from the cold (just think what happens to a glass of cold drink on a hot summer's day, that doesn't happen just to the camera's optics, but the electronic circuits as well).

Most of the suggestions require taking a plastic zip lock bag and putting the camera inside the bag before going back inside...leave the camera in the bag until it returns to room temperature.

There's cold weather advice at the Luminous Landscapes website since it's Canadian, eh! There's also advice on gloves there too.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:47 PM   #7

Hrm... big site. You have directions to that area that would contain this info? For the moment, searching in the forums, tutorials...
Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
How will you protect your E620?

I'm not so sure it would survive too long at those temperatures. The E3 most likely would, but I'm not so sure about the E620....or the E30 for that matter.
I wouldn't worry about the cold. I used the E500 in -20F without a wimper from the camera, but one could question the photographer's durability.

The main issue is the battery. When they get really cold, they don't have the same punch. I usually take two. I might use one for a hundred frames while the other is in an inner pocket (my jeans pocket under an insulated coverall) and swap them. The cold battery will recover when warmed and can be used several cycles.

I've always used a regular set of insulated leather gloves that is a size too small. It gives a little more feel.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:23 AM   #9

Re: Luminous-Landscape, I used the search box on the homepage and typed in GLOVES COLD WEATHER, and I come up with threads like:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/...75&mode=linear
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote