Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I was another who craved the L-1, but was held back by pocketbook concerns. Perhaps it is a Christmas that we cave into these old desires.

I just purchased an Olympus C-8080 on the Bay because I had alway regretted having to sell my C-8080 to purchase the E-500. So I have been sort of bitten by the same bug.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
You may be right about Christmas being the time we think about old desires. In defense of myself, my wife did want to know what I wanted for Christmas...

You have a merry Christmas also!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:51 PM   #12

Thanks, Ted-

I guess we are kids at heart still.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:08 PM   #13

Ted: wow, you are really getting pounded. But I like your back yard, you must enjoy your patio when the weather is nice. Stay warm!!

Note to Sara: true confession time: I still have my C8080 and use it often. That is a great lens on the camera. (and it takes great closeups of flowers.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 3:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Ted: wow, you are really getting pounded. But I like your back yard, you must enjoy your patio when the weather is nice. Stay warm!!
Thanks, Steven. We're doing OK so far - power is still on. In weather like this, often as not power goes off because some bozo slides a car into a power pole and knocks out a transformer. Fortunately ain't no one driving anywhere at this time (grin).

I grew up in the Chicago area and don't remember a snowstorm like this there. I didn't know how much weight the glass top of that patio table (you didn't know it has a glass top?) can take, so I cleared it off for the next foot of snow.

Ted

PS: The steps up to our front door, and the driveway have completely disappeared, as have our neighbors'. The entire neighborhood is one level layer of snow.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Dec 19, 2009 at 3:32 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 4:00 PM   #15

Hi Ted,
Congrats on getting your Xmas present! What great timing. This storm will give (looks like it already has) you plenty of subjects to shoot with your little jewel.

BTW, I'm a little worried about what's headed our way, from the looks of your photos. So far, it's the calm before the storm. I just got home, got the snowblower primed and ready, and bought some gas for it. Now it's just time to hunker down.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 5:00 PM   #16

Hi, Zig

From what the NWS says (Boston), you're not scheduled to get anything like what we're getting down here. Hope you don't. Looks like I'll be working from home on Monday unless the guy I have under contract can get to my driveway tomorrow. No way I am able to shovel 2' of snow, plus the huge pile the snowplow raised at the street.

Ted
Old Dec 19, 2009, 5:44 PM   #17

Hey Ted

Great to see you got a fab new toy !! I'm sure your gonna love using the cam and the PL25mm... shutter dial and apt ring.. what more could anyone need in a cam! I could never understand why Pana and even Oly didn't just make the shutter dial/aperture ring the stand for m43 at least... it seems perfect format for it esp with the smaller sized bodies and lenses.

Cheers

Harj

PS.... Lovely looking snow too!
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 6:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post

PS.... Lovely looking snow too!
Thanks, Harj. The snow is pretty but thankfully we have a guy down the street with a powerful snowblower who clears it out at a price way lower than I would charge, and way lower than a snowblower like his costs.

I wish the L1 had a newer sensor that was good up to ISO 1000 or so. But I really am enjoying it. The E3 is still my favorite cam but the L1 is a nice change from all-digital controls and menus - a more direct physical involvement with the cam. And fortunately, the L1 menu system is enough like the Oly menus that I won't get messed up switching cams during a busy event shoot.

Ted