Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:14 PM   #1

Default Macro thread anyone???

(if there is an ad, I don't endorse it.)

With the earlier thread, I thought it may be a good time to have a macro thread, with discussion.

Please feel free to post away and coments are welcome.

Some pics in next post.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:33 PM   #2

Default Popup flash...

These were with the popup flash of the E500 and the 50 f2 macro.

this one is also with the EC-14 at f10

Same equipment and same settings and another frog.

Another with the exact same equipment and exact same f10 setting.

Greg
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:05 PM   #3

Default Chip off the old block

This computer CPU measures 2" x 2". I shot this with the kit 14-42mm lens in macro mode with the E620 and this is about as good as I could get with this lens. Note the two li'l micro-chips in the red circle.

Here are those same two micro-chips using the same lens with the reversing ring.

Both images are uncropped.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:14 PM   #4

Default Natural light macro...

Its a tough thing to do. You must maintain enough shutter speed when loosing it by gaining "Depth of Field" by stopping down the aperture.

I had to have tried 20 frames on this spider. All but this one was wasted. I wanted the shadows in the photo and the spider remained still the whole time.

I like the results of this one. This is my wanting true 1 to 1 with the 35 macro and the flash wouldn't work that close.

E-3/35 macro f11 at 1/125 seconds.

E-3/35 macro at f11 and 1/250s

E-3/35 macro at f11 and 1/250s

Bottom line is that you need to keep a fast enough shutter. I like the natural light shadows but all these subjects were absolutely stationary. It would be even tougher with an active insect.

Greg
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:47 PM   #5

Really nice stuff! I can see I am going to have to put a 50 F2 and EC14 on my want list. That and an FL-36R should make my field kit complete.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:13 PM   #6

Hey all - newbie here

Gary, tell me a little about the "reversing" ring. I looked them up at BH photo. Which one did you buy? Looks like a way to have some macro fun until you can afford a real macro lens.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:19 PM   #7

Default What about the EC-14 and EC-20 converters?

As you may have noticed, almost all of my macro pics include the EC-14 teleconverter. Its almost welded to my macro lenses. The reason is simple. It maintains the exact same working distance (the distance from the front of the lens to the subject) but it increases the focal length, so overall magnification is greater. With the 50 f2, it increases the focal length to 70mm. The 35 macro becomes a 49mm lens.

There is a loss of a stop of light, but its rare that really matters in macro. The thing is you are also using a longer lens and the depth of field become more restricted. You will need to stop down that extra stop to maintain that.

The EC-20 will do what the EC-14 does only more. The EC-20 doubles the focal length of the lens its attached to. I have a feeling if I owned the EC-20, I'd use it to the exclusion of the EC-14 for macro.

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Dec 21, 2009 at 6:19 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:35 PM   #8

You'll find some nice stuff here by Dr Plonsky. Most of it taken with Canon G3 and 50mm Pentax with reversing ring. Good tutorial too. I used a similar setup for some technical photos; it worked great

http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/

http://photo.net/photodb/presentatio...tion_id=188714
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:38 PM   #9

Default No macro lens... No Problem!

Most Zuiko lenses focus fairly close and coupled to the 2x multiplier it makes several lenses decent for close ups.

Here's one from the 50-200/EC-14 at 283mm. There is ALOT more working distance available and that is a big advanyage for spooky insects.

There are others using the 50-200 for close work and I'm in hopes they choose to display some of their excellent work.

In addition to these non-macro lenses, there is the extention tube that allows closer focus at the expense of focus at infinity. The results are quite impressive. I don't own one so I'll hope other's will share here too.

Greg
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:08 PM   #10

Default What is a close-up lens???

A close up lens is an economical possibility for many. It is a filter that screws onto a lens and allows closer focus at the expense of focus at infinity. They range from ultra cheap to some high quality ones that have mutiple lenses to correct abberations.

I'm in the habit of using a Canon 250D along with the EC-14/50 f2 combo. It has become my standard macro setup.

This is a full frame shot at a bee with the 50 f2/EC-14 at minimum focus (no closeup lens here)

This is a full frame shot with the EC-14/50 f2/Canon 250D at minimum focus.

I said that the close focus comes at the expense of focusing at infinity.

This is a 2 1/2" flower and this is as far away as I can get and still get a focus.

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Dec 20, 2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: add infinity pic