Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 25, 2009, 1:18 PM   #1

Default Starting to understand super wide angle in 4/3

Here is a shot with the E-3 and the ZD 9-18mm, @ 9mm. It's my back yard - the point of the photo is to emphasize the 100+ foot tall oak trees.

PP in DXO - they lean over a lot in the original image.

Ken Rockwell got me going on this -

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-...ide-lenses.htm

Ted

PS: Sorry for swimming upstream against the macro threads here...
Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:22 PM   #2

Wide angle is tough to get good at...like this fisheye shot where I got my own feet in the image while trying something:
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
Wide angle is tough to get good at...like this fisheye shot where I got my own feet in the image while trying something:
Hah! If you did that with the Oly 8mm fisheye, DXO hasn't done a preset for that lens, unfortunately. But I have some shots with the 8mm that would duplicate getting my feet in the shot with that lens. (grin)

Ted
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:44 PM   #4

Actually, that shot was done with the 14-42 set at 14mm, and an add-on semi-fisheye converter lens:

Normally I warn people not to use add-on lenses as it may damage the SLR lens...but as I got the add-on lens used and cheap ($35) and it was pretty decent, and my 14-42 was used who cares if I damage it if I can get shots like this:
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:28 PM   #5

The 9-18 is a cool little lens. Definitely easier to carry around than the 7-14 and the results are just as dramatic,

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:53 AM   #6

Impressive photos, Greg-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The 9-18 is a cool little lens. Definitely easier to carry around than the 7-14 and the results are just as dramatic.
It is a great little lens, although only good for daylight (at f/4, too slow to cause me to think about selling the f/2.8 ZD 11-22). I just needed to know about DXO to correct the distortion at 9mm.

Am I the only one who thinks that Oly including a lens hood on this lens is kinda humorous?

Ted
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
It is a great little lens, although only good for daylight (at f/4, too slow to cause me to think about selling the f/2.8 ZD 11-22). I just needed to know about DXO to correct the distortion at 9mm.

Am I the only one who thinks that Oly including a lens hood on this lens is kinda humorous?

Ted
Just like the permanent hood built into the 7-14 f4, as far as protecting the lens from sunlight and flair, the hood for the 9-18 is only of a certain amount of help, but I use it primarily from a protection standpoint. That's pretty much a repeatable statement for any super wide angle.

The superwide angle of 9mm, combined with it being an f4 speed will give you more chances than you think in low light. The 7-14 is a straight f4 only as well and that never stopped me from shooting it in low light. With image stabilization, 1/5 sec to 1/10 second is very do-able. These were shot with an E300, so no image stabilization at all. With an E620 or E30, the 9-18 and PTLens to correct what distortion is there, I am confident these would have come out at least as well.

1/5 second at f4 and 10mm..

1/4 second at f4 and 10mm..

1/10 sec @f4 and 9mm..

1/15 sec at f4..

1/6 second at f4..

1/6 second at f4..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 26, 2009 at 2:10 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Just like the permanent hood built into the 7-14 f4, as far as protecting the lens from sunlight and flair, the hood for the 9-18 is only of a certain amount of help, but I use it primarily from a protection standpoint. That's pretty much a repeatable statement for any super wide angle.
Good point - it's easy to run into something if with a super wide angle you're looking thru the viewfinder instead of above the cam.

Quote:
The superwide angle of 9mm, combined with it being an f4 speed will give you more chances than you think in low light. The 7-14 is a straight f4 only as well and that never stopped me from shooting it in low light. With image stabilization, 1/5 sec to 1/10 second is very do-able. These were shot with an E300, so no image stabilization at all. With an E620 or E30, the 9-18 and PTLens to correct what distortion is there, I am confident these would have come out at least as well.
Thanks for that advice. I'm used to shooting indoors at EV5 with the E-3 but I'll keep an open mind on more brightly lit interiors.

Ted