Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:00 AM   #1

Default Want to learn about shooting birds?

If your interested in seeing some really fine images of birds taken by an Olympus dslr user, take a look at the work of Laura Pipkin's site on PBase.com. The link is:
http://www.pbase.com/pipkin/picture_a_day_2009

Most of the regular forum members are aware of her work, but if your new to this forum and are interested in what is possible using a 50-200mm lens and an EC-14 or an EC-20, this site a wonderful place to see some inspiring images. Remember to look at the EXIF data as it will show the settings used to capture the image. A great way to learn.

In addition, if you had any questions as to if adding an EC-20 to a 50-200mm lens degraded the quality of the image, this should help answer those questions.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:33 AM   #2

Default Stunning photos

I'm looking forward to spring. I'm ready for the spring migration and to really begin the learning process.

The sun just came out for about the first time in two weeks. I'm going to need to get out and do some feeder pics today. I have to break in the new toys a bit more.

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Dec 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
The sun just came out for about the first time in two weeks. I'm going to need to get out and do some feeder pics today. I have to break in the new toys a bit more.

Greg
Stayed overcast, but every once in awhile had some soft shadows.

A couple Downy Woodpecker pics. All w/ E-3 at 425mm f7.1

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Dec 27, 2009 at 2:23 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:39 PM   #4

Default Wow!!!!

Hi Greg,

It's is hard for me to justify investing the kind of money required to purchase the 300mm ZD Lens. Your images, however, make it hard for me not to.

The detail of the barbules on the hackle is just wonderful.

I wish you hadn't posted these..............(kidding, of course)

Zig
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:24 PM   #5

I've done very little in the way of bird shooting. Hoping to get to a couple of local reserves this spring, or maybe this winter during a warmer period of time.

In looking at Laura's images, the one thing I saw that makes so much sense after trying a few with the 50-200 SWD+EC20 combination is....f8. The combination has an f7 maximum aperture, but when close enough that you can fill a lot of the frame with one subject, the depth of field is quite limited. f10 or even f11 in good light would be even better. I've taken some shots here I thought I had a decent profile and found when zooming in the neck was tack sharp but the face was just enough out of focus to be worthless. At a distance, wide open at 400mm is fine like this image taken across a small body of water..

This was one guy where I had some nicely composed profiles where I simply didn't have the depth of field set well enough to be worth keeping.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:14 PM   #6

Default Maybe next weekend....

Just got a call from my sister from Iowa. The eagles are out in force below the dam in Iowa City. She's been keeping an eye out for me, and she called on her cell that there were about 15 of them on the wing as she was speaking. "How close will I be able to get?" I asked. They were passing about 100 ft away and they could get closer.

Now I just have to hope for decent forcast and good shooting conditions.

I'm looking forward to my first eagle outing!

Greg
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:11 PM   #7

You guys have been posting some exceptional bird shots lately,
in not just in this thread, but several different posts.. I notice that most
of them are taken with some big, serious glass. And the
majority are of the smaller songbirds. Yes, I'm envious that
I don't yet have the bigger lens, etc. However, don't overlook
the capability of the basic Zuiko 40-150mm zoom. (And nothing
against the songbirds, but I tend to prefer the larger birds.)

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:40 PM   #8

Hi All,

Been a bit pre occupied the last few days so, I haven't had much time to look in the forum.

Greg,

I''ve hope you get the chance to photograph a few Eagles using the 300mm 2.8. That sounds like an awesome opportunity.
P.S. don't forget to bring along the EC-20.

Steven,
Those shots of the Parrot and Pelicans are just great. Your images certainly make a strong case for the 40-150mm. Do you have the newer smaller version or the earlier larger one?
As for any preference for smaller or larger bird, I'm an equal opportunity shooter. I'll photograph anything that comes along. In my case, we don't have any Pelicans- or Parrots, for that matter.

Zig
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi All,

-------------------
Steven,
Those shots of the Parrot and Pelicans are just great. Your images certainly make a strong case for the 40-150mm. Do you have the newer smaller version or the earlier larger one?
As for any preference for smaller or larger bird, I'm an equal opportunity shooter. I'll photograph anything that comes along. In my case, we don't have any Pelicans- or Parrots, for that matter.

Zig
Hi zig: actually my post was half tongue in cheek, I think the bigger lens are great, just can't justify the money right now. And I really was also making a point that getting in close makes up for not having a huge lens: - Just lucky that where I live gives me opportunity for those close shots. Take for example the two shots of the white egret. I was eating a turkey leg on a picnic table, and he came by to get some food. After throwing a couple small turkey bits to him, he came right up wanting more. It was almost to the point that he was closer than the minimum focus distance.

Anyway, I have the newer smaller version and it has served me well.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote