Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Gary,
I like your set up.

The abundance of squirrels around here would prevent me from doing anything similar as they'd just take over. That, and Raccoons.

Zig
Thanks, Zig. I get squirrels but only one or two and not all the time. I've had one raccoon raid but took in the suet for a few nights, and she stopped coming back. But, last night was a little different. This guy let me get within two feet of him with the SP570 and made no aggressive or defensive posturing.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:02 AM   #12

Thanks Gary. I just started Brian Peterson's book where he is talking about the triangle. Bingo!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:54 PM   #13

Quote:
The abundance of squirrels around here would prevent me from doing anything similar as they'd just take over.
Zig
Squirrels need to survive the winter too. But I do appreciate that that is a major interference with bird photography.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Squirrels need to survive the winter too. But I do appreciate that that is a major interference with bird photography.

Ted
Hi Ted,

You're right.. I am sounding a bit cruel in my lament over the squirrels taking over a feeder. I was thinking that very thing as I was typing my response to Gary. I haven't yet figured a way to put feeders out that could satisfy everyone and still be able to take a few pics. A neighbor of mine has gone to great lengths to stop the squirrels from rampaging his feeders. I've gone to see his handiwork and it's quite funny to see the elaborate lengths that he's gone through. It's funnier still to see the squirrels so easily get round his obstructions.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi Ted,

You're right.. I am sounding a bit cruel in my lament over the squirrels taking over a feeder. I was thinking that very thing as I was typing my response to Gary. I haven't yet figured a way to put feeders out that could satisfy everyone and still be able to take a few pics. A neighbor of mine has gone to great lengths to stop the squirrels from rampaging his feeders. I've gone to see his handiwork and it's quite funny to see the elaborate lengths that he's gone through. It's funnier still to see the squirrels so easily get round his obstructions.

Zig
This is one I remember from when we lived in England...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9GBl7UmVs
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:06 PM   #16

Hah!

I once went through a time where I tried to stop squirrels from getting into my bird feeders. I had a feeder with a large dome top that was supposed to make them slip off. So I watched a squirrel slide down the dome, grab the edge of the dome in his (her?) teeth, and do a friggin back flip to land on the lower tray, whereupon he (she?) proceeded to chow away. Based on the teeth marks on the edge of the dome, they were able to do this pretty often.

I was very impressed (grin). At that point I decided to not try to thwart the kind of determination that is motivated by real hunger. Birds are more fun to photograph, but squirrels get hungry too. And it's easy for me to imagine how I would feel being stuck outside in the winter and looking for food...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote