Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:47 PM   #1

Default The Faces of Sprocket

Shot with my E30, 12-60 Zuiko and FL50R flash fitted with the Demb Bounce attachment.

These were shot using the non-TTL auto mode because the pre-flash of the TTL system causes him to close his eyes EVERY TIME. Fortunately, since the E30 and FL50R "talk" to one another, non-TTL auto can be used just like you were in TTL mode, with any exposure mode. This first image was taken using aperture priority mode at f5.6..

while these were taken in regular program mode at whatever settings the camera chose (wide open every time)..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:20 AM   #2

...... I like cats and photos of Sprocket are always a favorite, especially his eyes which are perfect every photo I've seen. I've wondered how that has been since my Autumn seldom keeps her's wide open and any but closed is a lucky shot for me. Thanks for explaining.

BTW, the last of the ones above is my favorite of these.........................
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
...... I like cats and photos of Sprocket are always a favorite, especially his eyes which are perfect every photo I've seen. I've wondered how that has been since my Autumn seldom keeps her's wide open and any but closed is a lucky shot for me. Thanks for explaining.

BTW, the last of the ones above is my favorite of these.........................
____
boBB
Thanks, Bob,

Yes, something changed after either the E300 or E500. I never used an E500 so don't know if it applies to that model, but in using my E1 or E300 in TTL flash mode, I never had an issue with Sprocket's eyes being closed. It all started with the E510 and has continued through to the current bodies, then I saw a post over at DPReview where someone confirmed in testing the TTL pre-flash was extended in later bodies....probably necessitated by the development of the wireless system, but with an E1 or E300 the TTL preflash and the actual exposure flash are virtually instantaneous.

I have once or twice had to switch from TTL to non-TTL auto in shooting people as well with a later body. If they are prone to blink or have lazy eyes, the longer-delayed TTL pre-flash gets them much of the time and you wind up with half-way or completely closed eyes.

If you look close, when you press the release to take a flash shot with the more current bodies, you can actually see the start of the TTL pre-flash in the finder before the mirror raises and blacks out the finder. You do not see that using an E1 or E300.

Fortunately, non-TTL auto is as easy to use as TTL since the flash and body communicate so any mode is useable and the flash metering performed by the FL50 or FL50R is great.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 30, 2009 at 2:01 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:03 AM   #4

Newbie here. I have seen this "TTL" term being thrown around here and in some books. What is it, and why would I want or not want it?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:00 AM   #5

Thank goodness for Google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through-the-lens_metering

By the way Greg,

I like the photos of your cat Sprocket. Sprocket, great name..

Last edited by zig-123; Dec 31, 2009 at 9:02 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:06 AM   #6

OK, I get the point. No more newbie questions....
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tames View Post
OK, I get the point. No more newbie questions....

I apologize if I've offended you as that wasn't the intent. It's that, sometimes the answers require a great deal more detail to properly explain. It's sort of like peeling an onion. There are more and more layers of information the deeper you go.

Rather than give you the literal definition of TTL, which is "thru the lens" and leave it at that, the article serves to further clarify what that really means.

I just Googled the term and, by way of reference, let you know where it was found.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Newbie here. I have seen this "TTL" term being thrown around here and in some books. What is it, and why would I want or not want it?
The link Zig posted gives a pretty complete technical description of the process. We want it because it makes the process of taking a flash pictures easy. Dedicated flash units "talk" to the body they are attached to via the contacts on the foot that mate to those contacts on the hot shoe, meaning you can use flash in any mode the camera offers and in almost any case, you'll wind up with a great looking image with little effort.

There can be issues with TTL flash that cause problems, namely the one I have experienced. The TTL system sends a small pre-flash that measures the light before the exposure is made. Since that pre-flash happens ahead of the exposure certain people react faster than others, causing eyes to sometimes be partially or completely closed, so TTL flash is sometimes not the best method.

Fortunately, the Olympus flash units also offer a non-TTL auto option that's very close to TTL, but instead of the camera measuring the light as it passes through the lens, there is a metering window in the flash unit that is used which requires no pre-flash, eliminating the reason behind why some people (and animals) close their eyes when taking a flash shot. In theory, TTL flash is more accurate, but often the two methods produce equally good results.

Just like ambient light (non flash) exposure, there are so many variables to learn about flash photography it is much easier to point to sites where people have written entire articles on the subject. The digital process is a great teacher itself in that one can shoot and see at once the results of the settings used.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:12 PM   #9

Thank you, much appreciated.

I participate in several forums and the "just google it" quick response can be a real turn-off to new people on the forum no matter what the intention was.
New people join forums to make connections. They want to get to know the people there and most times the people there want to get to know you. The only way to do that is to ask questions, make comments, etc.

So consider it a form of flattery when someone asks something because they are interested in what you have to say about the subject. The google link is fine, but there is a way to deliver it.

And, perhaps I should be using the Newbie Help forum for these kinds of things.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:31 PM   #10

Quote:
And, perhaps I should be using the Newbie Help forum for these kinds of things.
If you want to, but we enjoy helping folks including each other, and if you ask questions about Oly gear here you're more likely to get an accurate answer.

I don't use flash much so I depended on the other folks here to answer your question. Greg and Zig did a good job on that. But if you get involved with flash, do a search in this forum for Greg's recommendation for the DEMB flash reflector. On the rare times I use flash, that reflector makes a huge difference in the quality of the lighting. Greg really hit the nail on the head with that recommendation.

Ted

PS: Jeeez - once again I find myself agreeing with a Texan. This is a disturbing trend...
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote