Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:19 AM   #11

Thanx.
I now have 70-300mm and 14-54mm that i will use..i guess the 11-22 mm will be a natural/the best addition for a bit more width...of the semi pro lenses, that is?
spurs_n17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:41 AM   #12

Hi,

I guess the choice depends on what is more important to you. The widest, possible or weather, drip proof and gaining a stop on the speed or getting the lens with the best price to performance ratio.

Of the 3 wide angle lenses currently available from Olympus, the 11-22mm, 7-14mm and the 9-18mm. I would, personally choose the 9-18mm. I know that I would lose a stop on the speed but If I'm going to get a wide angle, I'd want more than the 11-22mm offers. While the 7-14mm is certainly the best, it's outside of my budget. Largely, because I wouldn't use it enough to justify the expense.

The 9-18mm continues to get great reviews due to it's sharpness and lack of distortion. Price is about the same as the 11-22mm but it offers a significantly wider angle of view. Since it's in the standard grade of lenses, it's focus system is fly by wire which is something some people just don't like. For wide angle shooting, primarily landscapes, it would not be an issue for me.

Zig

Last edited by zig-123; Dec 31, 2009 at 8:43 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:54 PM   #13

Can't add any more than what everyone else has mentioned... other than it'll put a nice big chessey grin on your face when you first see it. You can;t knock the kit lenses at all but the step up is noticeable in build quality, faster focusing, etc.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

I guess the choice depends on what is more important to you. The widest, possible or weather, drip proof and gaining a stop on the speed or getting the lens with the best price to performance ratio.

Of the 3 wide angle lenses currently available from Olympus, the 11-22mm, 7-14mm and the 9-18mm. I would, personally choose the 9-18mm. I know that I would lose a stop on the speed but If I'm going to get a wide angle, I'd want more than the 11-22mm offers. While the 7-14mm is certainly the best, it's outside of my budget. Largely, because I wouldn't use it enough to justify the expense.

The 9-18mm continues to get great reviews due to it's sharpness and lack of distortion. Price is about the same as the 11-22mm but it offers a significantly wider angle of view. Since it's in the standard grade of lenses, it's focus system is fly by wire which is something some people just don't like. For wide angle shooting, primarily landscapes, it would not be an issue for me.

Zig
But the 11-22mm is F2.8 and the 9-18mm is F4.0..and i've read some experts saying that is why they would choose the 11-22mm...you saying that is not an issue for you?

Last edited by spurs_n17; Jan 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM.
spurs_n17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs_n17 View Post
But the 11-22mm is F2.8 and the 9-18mm is F4.0..and i've read some experts saying that is why they would choose the 11-22mm...you saying that is not an issue for you?
Yes, because the type of photography I would most likely use a wide angle lens for involves landscapes, seascapes, architecture or basically, static objects. In those instances where low light is a factor - sunrise, sunsets, I can play a bit with the ISO and use a tripod. And, most all of the reviews I've read state that the lens is very sharp wide open.

And, remember, I would buy this lens for the type of shooting that I've outlined. Your application may be totally different. I also forgot to mention that I currently have the 12-60mm lens.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs_n17 View Post
I think what folks are saying here is that they're most likely to use a very wide angle lens in daylight so the slow speed of the 9-18 isn't an issue for them. I have both the 9-18 and the 11-22 and frankly I've mostly used both of them in daylight. If I had to pick only one it would be the 9-18. But I have occasionally used the 11-22 indoors so I'm not planning to sell it. You have to decide whether or not you need a wide angle lens indoors. If so, go with the 11-22. If not, get the 9-18.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote