Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:17 PM   #1

Default Zuiko 14-54

Hi all.

I just bought a 14-54mm lens as a upgrade on the kit lens and are waiting for it to arrive, just how much better are they??
spurs_n17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs_n17 View Post
Hi all.

I just bought a 14-54mm lens as a upgrade on the kit lens and are waiting for it to arrive, just how much better are they??
Than what?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:31 PM   #3

kit lens 14-42mm..
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:51 PM   #4

.....much better IMHO, I like mine a bunch. Did you get the new SWD model? Mine is a 1st generation model.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi all.

The 14-42 isn't that bad a lens, but the emmediate difference you will see is in the finder because of the speed of the 14-54. The finder will be brighter. Being a faster lens, you also won't have to up the ISO setting as quickly, which always is a better thing.

Did you buy the original 14-54 or the current version? There are differences as far as what AF modes can be used in live view with the old version vs. the new. Not being that much of a live view user, that would be a non-issue for me.

The other main difference is in build quality, which will be an obvious thing when you get it in your hands. The 14-42 is tiny. Either of the 14-54's is substantially bigger and better built.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:27 PM   #6

Default Hi,

Hi,

Bob and Greg have already given you great information about the differences of the 2 lenses. If you enjoy reading and have a little free time, here is a link to a site by the name of Biofos.com John Foster manages the site and writes about all things having to do with Olympus cameras. The link below goes directly to an article written by Foster comparing the 3 standard 14mm lenses. The 14 -42mm, 14-45mm and the 14-54mm.

It's a good read and provides a bit of information on the lenses in question.
While you're there, you may want to look at his other articles on various Oly cameras, lenses and accessories.

Good luck with your 14-54mm You're going to like it a lot.
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e400_tst.html

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:10 PM   #7

Thanx guys..can't wait.

It's the 1st generation, i "only" have the E-510..so i didn't feel like splashing out an extra $150 ish to get the 2nd generation..i trust it will be a sufficient upgrade for me anyhow..i was mostly thinking about the f2.8 vs.f3.5 when i decided to upgrade...
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:39 PM   #8

Even with a first generation Zukio 14-54mm lens you will surely notice a positive difference over the Zukio 14-42mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanx guys..can't wait.

It's the 1st generation, i "only" have the E-510..so i didn't feel like splashing out an extra $150 ish to get the 2nd generation..i trust it will be a sufficient upgrade for me anyhow..i was mostly thinking about the f2.8 vs.f3.5 when i decided to upgrade...
I was very happy with the 14-54mm version I and used it with an E-510 it for over a year before upgrading to the 12-60mm. Greg is right, the viewfinder of the E-510 will definitely be brighter and easier to use.

The build quality, IQ and speed is a good step up from the kit lenses. Enjoy.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:15 PM   #10

The 14-54 is really a nice lens.

First, it does have enough extra reach that you should notice. The brightness factor with the viewfinder has been mentioned.

More than the difference in sharpness, you will notice a difference in contrast. Its something you will see in the photos.

The other thing is you will see less geometric distortion with your new toy. Straight lines will be straighter, especially at 14mm.

Enjoy,

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote