Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:05 PM   #1

Default Its COLD in Iowa

(if there is an ad, i don't endorse it)

Well, Its super cold. When I got to the dam it was -14 F (air temp, not wind chill) and I couldn't find the gloves and tried shooting the 300mm handheld from the car. I wasn't up to the task.

How cold was it???

I got close to the Eagles this morning, but wasn't steady enough with the hand holding.

A couple of the better ones...

This afternoon I walked to where most of the action seemed to be during the morning. My presence wasn't welcome and the birds pushed farther downstream. The few I shot were from a tripod, much sharper, but much farther away. (all crops)

I think I'm beginning to get things figured out and hope to improve for tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:29 PM   #2

YIKES! Now THAT'S cold!

I wouldn't have even got out of the house. Nice shots!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:52 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Wow. that goose looks absolutely miserable. nice shots though, the ones you did keep looked great.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:07 AM   #4

Nice pix...poor birds. BTW it was -34 last night, here on the Canadian Prairies.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:36 AM   #5

Hi Greg,

I've never seen ice on the bill of a Goose before. Now, those images certainly tell a story!

I gotta tell you, that if I were up there, the camera never would have come out of the case......brrrrrrrr
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:15 AM   #6

........this causes memories of cold I thought I had forgotten. I'm going back to bed, under the covers, for a while.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:35 PM   #7

Greg .. now thats what you call cold! The first two pics are just fab and the bald eagle shots look good too!

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:27 AM   #8

Great demonstrations of cold weather : ) I have never seen ice on a goose like that in my 60 years of living. I'm surprised the goose doesn't attempt to shake it off but there is open water so I'm guessing he's a happy camper.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Great demonstrations of cold weather : ) I have never seen ice on a goose like that in my 60 years of living. I'm surprised the goose doesn't attempt to shake it off but there is open water so I'm guessing he's a happy camper.
What the eagles were feeding on is the same thing the waterfowl were staying for. A mallard with a shad.

Day two didn't work as planned either. I set up the tripod and a folding chair right next to the car in hopes the eagles would carry on with bussiness as usual... Nope. They didn't like anyone outside the car anywhere other than the main parking, and the light wasn't the best there (all backlight).

Plan B - Leave the camera/tripod set up next to the car and return the the warmth of my idleing engine. I'd pop out when a few birds were on the wing to get a few quick shots, then return to the car..... Wrong! The camera wouldn't take an exposure with the cold battery. Just an odd click and the mirror was left hanging. After checking the lens mounting, pins, and the same for the EC-14, as well as wondering if I had some mirror lockup thing happening in the menu, I discovered I must have a dead battery. Switched the battery with the one I had stashed under the belt (for warmth) and tried plan B again. Same result. Tha battery got cold fast at negative double digit temps.

Plan C - Leave the tripod set up and bring the camera in the car. Pop out when the birds were flying and use the QR plates to mount the camera and get a few exposures. The birds really didn't like me out of the car and would keep their distance.

Anyway...

The subject..

This isn't easy. New to tripods, with a new tripod, head, and heavy camera/lens attached trying to keep up with flying birds, I didn't fare well. I was also trying to use multi-point AF because of my inability to keep the subject glued to the center point, but I wasn't impressed with that method. I could see it grab/release/grab/release the subject and there was alot of misses. If I'm going to use the E-3, I need to get to a point that I can keep the center point on target.

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Jan 10, 2010 at 3:10 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:11 PM   #10

Just one more to let you know there were birds here. There were a few trees with about this number of eagles in each.

And to let you know where I was. This is the emergency spillway of the Coralville dam. (at 7mm) About 100 yards behind me is a fossel bed that was revealed during high water a few years back.

The emergency spillway is now behind me. I'm now on the top of the dam looking toward the outlet. [email protected]

A crop reveals the outlet. The cars in the parking lot give scale to the dam.

Looking over the outlet from the top of the dam. The reason it is a nice place to shoot eagles is the narrow width of the water. It widens after the parking lot, but is still not bad. 7-14 @ 8mm

I wonder why fish get messed up going through this. 7-14 @ 14mm

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Jan 10, 2010 at 5:21 PM.