Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:55 AM   #11

Adobe's ACR 5.6 for Photoshop CS4 has some great new features that are not available in Version 4.X in CS3. ACR 5.6 also supports ORF. You can preview the new creative features on Adobe TV.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-russel...-raw-workflow/

turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:30 PM   #12

Default an example at ISO2000

I tried to find some previous examples of birds shot at ISO1600 and 2000. Didn't find any very quickly, so shot this this morning.

The first is shot at ISO2000, f7.1, 1/500sec with no post processing done other than cropping down to 5 x 5.

The second is the same image post processed in PSE8 with noise reduction using Neat Image.
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I tried to find some previous examples of birds shot at ISO1600 and 2000. Didn't find any very quickly, so shot this this morning.

The first is shot at ISO2000, f7.1, 1/500sec with no post processing done other than cropping down to 5 x 5.

The second is the same image post processed in PSE8 with noise reduction using Neat Image.
Even though the details are great in the second one, I find that some are over accentuated... not sure if I'm the only one. I think I still prefer the left one due to this.
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:09 PM   #14

Hi Tek,

I guess the beauty of post processing is the fact it allows each of us the flexibility to process an image to our liking.

I hope the image served it's intended purpose, which was to show that the E-30's jpegs have enough detail to work with, even at ISO2000.

Zig
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:28 PM   #15

Default Help! A dumb question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Yes, there is some noise adjustments being done using Adobe Camera Raw.
I used the Luminance and Color sliders. ACR can post process jpeg files quite well.

Zig
When I moved into this latest house, it faces south so the animal photos I want to shoot are backlit, which I gather is your situation also. I loaded ACR into CS3, and I can't figure out how to get to ACR. The CS3 Help menu says go to the "Calibrate" tab but I can't find that tab. Jeeez, a typical Adobe help answer. How do I get into ACR? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
When I moved into this latest house, it faces south so the animal photos I want to shoot are backlit, which I gather is your situation also. I loaded ACR into CS3, and I can't figure out how to get to ACR. The CS3 Help menu says go to the "Calibrate" tab but I can't find that tab. Jeeez, a typical Adobe help answer. How do I get into ACR? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ted
Hi Ted,
I just read the read me file for the Adobe ACR5.6 download and it states that ACR 5.6 is not compatible with photoshop versions earlier than CS4. To me, that's rather odd but that is what it states. I think it odd because I just installed the much less expensive version, Elements 8 and it is compatible with ACR5.6

http://www.adobe.com/special/photosh...5.6_ReadMe.pdf

And yes, backlighting for me is a real headache. My office window faces North and the Sun is always "behind" the house. Thus, no matter what the time of day, I'm shooting a dark subject with a lot of light in the background.
I've tried putting up a flood light to shine down on the feeder. It works extremely well. But, the birds hate it.

Zig
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:42 PM   #17

The last version of ACR for CS3 is 4.6 I believe. It's still available but will not handle ORF. You open ACR through Adobe Bridge. Open Bridge and navigate to the directory where your file is. Right click on the file and from the menu choose open in Adobe Camera Raw. Not making it available for CS3 is typical of Adobe. Planned obsolescence creates lots of additional sales revenue. ACR 5.6 is a very good editor in it's own right for both RAW and JPG. It makes Elements 8.0 a very good bargain.

Zig, with regard to the backlighting try using some fill flash. That way you can control the background and foreground. If you have a wireless unit you can set it closer to the subject. I have used a Better Beamer some and found it a good tool too. With my old Sunpak 383 it will reach beyond 70 feet for fill

Last edited by turbines; Jan 7, 2010 at 5:58 PM.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbines View Post
The last version of ACR for CS3 is 4.6 I believe. It's still available but will not handle ORF. You open ACR through Adobe Bridge. Open Bridge and navigate to the directory where your file is. Right click on the file and from the menu choose open in Adobe Camera Raw.
Thanks for providing some clarity. I follow the same steps to access Adobe Camera Raw as you've just outlined.

Zig
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:13 PM   #19

Quote:
The last version of ACR for CS3 is 4.6 I believe. It's still available but will not handle ORF. You open ACR through Adobe Bridge. Open Bridge and navigate to the directory where your file is. Right click on the file and from the menu choose open in Adobe Camera Raw.
I did load that - Adobe claims it's compatible with the RAW files from my E3 (and the L1). So I'll give it a try over this weekend. I appreciate knowing that you execute ACR through Bridge, 'cause there's no way to access it thru CS3.

Thanks!

Ted
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Zig, with regard to the backlighting try using some fill flash. That way you can control the background and foreground. If you have a wireless unit you can set it closer to the subject. I have used a Better Beamer some and found it a good tool too. With my old Sunpak 383 it will reach beyond 70 feet for fill
Thanks for the suggestion but I think the problem Zig and I have is that we're shooting through a window. In my past experience a flash doesn't do well when you're shooting behind glass. I suppose I could replace the FL50 with the wireless version and stick it outside, but for this application I wouldn't want to spend the money for the FL50R. I already got burned years ago when I bought the FL40 for my E20 and that very, very expensive sucker (at the time, inflation-adjusted it was way more expensive than the FL50) turned out not to be compatible with any of my subsequent E-series cameras.

Are there any other less expensive wireless flashes that would work with my E3 or Zig's E30? They wouldn't need to be more than manual - no FL zoom needed. None of my old flash units from my film days are wireless (of course).

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jan 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM.