Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbines View Post

Zig, with regard to the backlighting try using some fill flash. That way you can control the background and foreground. If you have a wireless unit you can set it closer to the subject. I have used a Better Beamer some and found it a good tool too. With my old Sunpak 383 it will reach beyond 70 feet for fill
Thanks. I've been putting off buying a wireless flash as I've spent my ' 2010 discretionary camera equipment budget' already and it's only the 7th of Jan.

But, I think I've got to bite the bullet and see what's available.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobt View Post
Hi Zig,

Are those pics post-processed with noise filter? I've found out that E30 is way too noisy when ISO is 800 or higher. I just did a comparison between E30, Canon T1i and Nikon D90 while shooting at the same object with ISO 1600 for all three. Surprisingly, Nikon D90 is the winner, Canon second. That's why I have limited my ISO to 800 on my E30 for all low light conditions. Oly really needs to improve the ISO noise handling to try to compete with the other two big ones.
Actually that is what I would have expected as the D90 has the biggest sensor of the 3 camera, and you are not putting in as many pixel per square micrometer as the canon's 15 or olympus' 12.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:35 PM   #23

Zig,

Very nice shots.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:04 PM   #24

Ted,

With my E-620's slow speed sync is limited to 1/180th sec it would be very difficult for me to live without the Super FP feature for daylight fill. I don't know the restrictions on the E3 but on the 620 1/180th would limit me to apertures of f13 and higher on an ISO100 Sunny 16 day. That would likely give me much more depth of field than I might want with many subjects. I can live without the wireless but not the HSS. That really limits the choices for me to the Olympus or Metz right now.

turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Thanks. I've been putting off buying a wireless flash as I've spent my ' 2010 discretionary camera equipment budget' already and it's only the 7th of Jan.

Zig
Paul G. (Turbines) has really gotten me to think about this. Do you have any old flash units lying around? I'm thinking about this wireless trigger for my old Vivitar 285HD - it appears to have good reviews, and isn't very expensive. For a remote fill-in flash it could make a good system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQcmdZViewIte...mZ190297941916

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:51 PM   #26

What I'm thinking about here is this:

I don't want a flash on my camera if I'm shooting through glass. So I figure I could put the Vivitar on a tripod outside, dial its power down, and use it as a fill flash with a wireless trigger. Maybe crazy but it might work, and since the wireless trigger is pretty inexpensive it could be an interesting experiment. Not when its snowing, though.

Ted
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

But, I think I've got to bite the bullet and see what's available.

Zig
Just my 2 cents, but if you and Ted are talking about shooting in your own yard thru a window, etc, why worry with a camera flash when you could install an outdoor floodlight on your house for a lot less money. It would not scare the animals, and would make composing your shots much easier. Not to mention that you could cut it on and off with your indoor light switch based on if you need it our not. Or am I missing something that requires you only to use a camera flash?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Just my 2 cents, but if you and Ted are talking about shooting in your own yard thru a window, etc, why worry with a camera flash when you could install an outdoor floodlight on your house for a lot less money. It would not scare the animals, and would make composing your shots much easier. Not to mention that you could cut it on and off with your indoor light switch based on if you need it our not. Or am I missing something that requires you only to use a camera flash?
I don't own this house and wiring a floodlight would for me cost as much as a $40 wireless trigger for a flash i already own, plus be a lot more work to create and wire the switch box and fishing the wiring to a flood light box then add the flood light. But you're definitely right that having a constant light source would make exposure control a lot easier than a manual flash would.

Ted
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:18 PM   #29

Ted: I see your point.
(I have a portable work light floodlight on a stand that just works with an extension cord. I haven't used it in years; if you lived nearby I would just give it to you.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post

Hi Steven,

I actually have tried using a floodlight that I mounted on a board, complete with a cord and switch. I just hung the floodlight on the side of the house and fished the cord through a small opening (I opened up a little hole in the base of the storm window frame.

I thought I was pretty smart!!! as the whole project cost me about 12 bucks.
Trouble was that for whatever reason, the birds really didn't like it and avoided coming to the feeder when the light was on. I should give it another try as it's a lot colder now and with snow on the ground, there's a lot less food around.

But then again, the idea of using a triggered flash is a good one. I actually have an Fl36 Olympus flash and an old Vivitar 202 flash. I need to do a bit of research, but the flash idea is worth pursuing.

Hey, how cold is it where you are?
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote