Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
What I'm thinking about here is this:

I don't want a flash on my camera if I'm shooting through glass. So I figure I could put the Vivitar on a tripod outside, dial its power down, and use it as a fill flash with a wireless trigger. Maybe crazy but it might work, and since the wireless trigger is pretty inexpensive it could be an interesting experiment. Not when its snowing, though.

Ted
I like your thinking. Now, just need to do a bit of research on how best to come up with a feasible solution for short money.

I love a project!!

Zig

P.s. Can you tell I've got too much time on my hands?........smile
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Ted: I see your point.
(I have a portable work light floodlight on a stand that just works with an extension cord. I haven't used it in years; if you lived nearby I would just give it to you.)
Steven, thanks - I have one too. But I just think it would be too bright for a fill light.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I like your thinking. Now, just need to do a bit of research on how best to come up with a feasible solution for short money.

I love a project!!

Zig
Sounds like you, like me, have everything you need other than the $40 wireless trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
P.s. Can you tell I've got too much time on my hands?........smile
Yep - I suspect you'll get this done before I will (grin).

Plus you have better subjects than I do - unless I mount a system of bird feeders all I have to shoot here are the squirrels eating the seed on the patio. Not that I don't like squirrels but they're not as colorful as birds are.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:34 AM   #34

I suspect the floodlight might alter WB too. I bought a remote trigger on eBay several years ago for less than $20. It worked very reliably. I have since purchased an Alien Bee trigger. Something else to consider is that you may find it necessary to alter the flash output with some subjects when shooting from the inside with fill light on the outside. That would make a stronger case for a wireless that is coupled to the camera. I would encourage everyone to experiment with daylight fill; it can really make many shots really pop. It will also add small catchlights to the subjects eyes that I see missing in many backlit photos.

Last edited by turbines; Jan 8, 2010 at 7:25 AM.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:52 AM   #35

Well, I haven't yet ordered anything to fashion a wireless flash set up.
But, I did hang my makeshift outdoor floodlight to add more lighting.

Here is one of the first images taken this morning. I need to work on positioning, light intensity, etc. But this may have promise.
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:03 AM   #36

Quote:
But this may have promise
I believe it might............
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:12 AM   #37

That's looking good! If your subjects are always shot in the same general area you can decrease the lighting ratio with the fill light on your left by placing a reflector panel on to your right. Foam based siding coated with reflective foil makes a good large reflector. It's cheap and can be had at your local Lowes or Home Depot. You'll need to place it fairly close to the subject. You can improvise a light stand for the reflector by usin a step ladder, duct tape and spring clamps.

turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:16 AM   #38

Another visitor this morning. What is of interest to me is that I didn't adjust the sharpness at all. The feather pattern gave the AF a good area to focus on.

And yes, the white spots are snow flakes.
Attached Images

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 8, 2010 at 8:24 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:23 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbines View Post
That's looking good! If your subjects are always shot in the same general area you can decrease the lighting ratio with the fill light on your left by placing a reflector panel on to your right. Foam based siding coated with reflective foil makes a good large reflector. It's cheap and can be had at your local Lowes or Home Depot. You'll need to place it fairly close to the subject. You can improvise a light stand for the reflector by usin a step ladder, duct tape and spring clamps.
All good ideas, Paul. But I'm not sure it will pass the spousal acceptance factor. My wife looks at me now and shakes her head as it is. If I start putting up reflective foil on the side of the house........well I just don't know.

I think the idea of using a wireless flash whereby I can better control the amount of light required in changing light conditions, while having something small that doesn't draw attention is the better solution.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:45 AM   #40

Quote:
My wife looks at me now and shakes her head...........
......mine too, and all I mentioned was, " iMac model 27 ". I've not mentioned EC-20, 12-60, 9-18, EP-2 or any one of them YET, let alone exterior sheathing for a more reflective outdoor lighting arrangement.

Be sure to let us know your final solution there Zig, I'm betting it'll be the remote flash
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote