Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:19 PM   #41

Maybe they just feel left out; ask them to hold the strobe and the reflector.

turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:09 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbines View Post
That's looking good! If your subjects are always shot in the same general area you can decrease the lighting ratio with the fill light on your left by placing a reflector panel on to your right. Foam based siding coated with reflective foil makes a good large reflector. It's cheap and can be had at your local Lowes or Home Depot. You'll need to place it fairly close to the subject. You can improvise a light stand for the reflector by usin a step ladder, duct tape and spring clamps.
Paul, you are apparently married to a very different kind of woman than I am. My wife is extraordinarily patient with my hobbies but what you suggest (and your other idea - ask them to hold the strobe and the reflector - which I do know was a joke) is not gonna work here. A strobe outside when I'm shooting, would be fine with her. A step ladder, duct tape and spring clamps - I'm not even gonna ask, even if I really wanted to do that...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
My wife looks at me now and shakes her head as it is.
Yep, if we're not careful we're both gonna be two of those folks that mothers bend down and whisper to their children while they point at us...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Yep, if we're not careful we're both gonna be two of those folks that mothers bend down and whisper to their children while they point at us...

Ted
What makes you think they don't do that now?.......
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:46 PM   #45

[QUOTE=zig-123;1036781

Hey, how cold is it where you are?
Zig[/QUOTE]

Too dang cold. This 15 degree [email protected] is...sorry....for the birds.

On another note, I just found out this past week I'm going to be in August (8th-14th) to take a job-related investments class for a week at Boston U. I need to plan in advance and stay a few days before or after and check some stuff out up there.

I have to admit one baseball history-related thing I want to see on that campus is the football stadium. It's built on the former site of Braves Field and part of the old baseball stadium makes up a portion of the football stadium. The old clubhouse/ticket complex and right field bleacher section.

http://www.ballparktour.com/Former_Boston.html
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:59 PM   #46

Quote:
This 15 degree [email protected]
.......is it that much warmer in Dallas, single digits here near Lake Arlington? Must be the vehicle traffic keeps it warmer there.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:11 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
.......is it that much warmer in Dallas, single digits here near Lake Arlington? Must be the vehicle traffic keeps it warmer there.
I might have used a high number earlier. This is just crazy, whatever it is. I need to get out. These last few days I bought a 42 inch LCD TV on the internet. signed up for Scott Kelby's Photoshop class at the end of the month over there in Arlington and switched from cable to AT&T U-Verse.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 9, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:04 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Too dang cold. This 15 degree [email protected] is...sorry....for the birds.

On another note, I just found out this past week I'm going to be in August (8th-14th) to take a job-related investments class for a week at Boston U. I need to plan in advance and stay a few days before or after and check some stuff out up there.

I have to admit one baseball history-related thing I want to see on that campus is the football stadium. It's built on the former site of Braves Field and part of the old baseball stadium makes up a portion of the football stadium. The old clubhouse/ticket complex and right field bleacher section.

http://www.ballparktour.com/Former_Boston.html
Hi Greg,

You should be quite happy coming to Boston in August as the weather is generally hot and tends to be humid. BU is a great College in a great urban location, as it's within walking distance to Fenway Park. Boston's Museum of Fine Arts is just past Fenway Park. Across the Charles River are lots of photo opps. in Cambridge where you can visit Harvard University.

What makes Boston such a good place to visit is it's small size relative to other major cities. BU is about 15minutes away from the center of the city. So, you can easily tour all the major points of interest. in a couple of days.
Points of interest would be;
The Freedom Trail, guided walking tour of Boston.
The waterfront district including Faneuil Market
The Public Gardens, Boston Common, Boston Public Library.
The State House building and Louisburg Sq of Beacon Hill
The Boston College campus
Prudential Building (good place to take a panorama shot of the city- including Fenway Park).

If you have the time, Cape Cod is just 1-1/2 hours southeast. Gloucester and Rockport are about 1 hour north.

You'll have a blast.

Zig

The Red Sox play Detroit on the 1st and 2nd of August then play Cleveland on the 3rd, through the 5th. They're out of town, beginning a series in New York after that.

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 10, 2010 at 6:10 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote