Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:24 PM   #1

Default E-30 high ISO examples

Olympus' track record, in the past, wasn't altogether very good when it came to acceptable level of noise in images where a high ISO setting was required.

With the release of the E-30 and the E-620 (both employing the same sensor),
I'm finding that I'm getting a much greater number of very acceptable images when using an ISO800 or greater (as opposed to the E-510). The noise that is present, to me, is not objectionable.

While I could get good images with the E-510 at high ISO settings, there was a lot of post processing being done in order to get that result.

The 3 examples that follow were taken with the E-30 using a 50-200mm ED (non SWD) lens set at 169mm focal length.
images 1 and 2 were shot at ISO1000 f6.3 1/250sec

image 3 was shot at ISO1250 f7.1 1/250sec.
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:28 PM   #2

Mighty fine, Zig! Very clean.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:41 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Zig, these look great. very sharp, very clean. and great eye contact.

thnx for sharing.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:26 PM   #4

Hi Zig,

Are those pics post-processed with noise filter? I've found out that E30 is way too noisy when ISO is 800 or higher. I just did a comparison between E30, Canon T1i and Nikon D90 while shooting at the same object with ISO 1600 for all three. Surprisingly, Nikon D90 is the winner, Canon second. That's why I have limited my ISO to 800 on my E30 for all low light conditions. Oly really needs to improve the ISO noise handling to try to compete with the other two big ones.
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:33 PM   #5

Hi Zig -

Great shots! Shap, clean and beautiful color rendition!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobt View Post
Hi Zig,

Are those pics post-processed with noise filter? I've found out that E30 is way too noisy when ISO is 800 or higher. I just did a comparison between E30, Canon T1i and Nikon D90 while shooting at the same object with ISO 1600 for all three. Surprisingly, Nikon D90 is the winner, Canon second. That's why I have limited my ISO to 800 on my E30 for all low light conditions. Oly really needs to improve the ISO noise handling to try to compete with the other two big ones.

Yes, there is some noise adjustments being done using Adobe Camera Raw.
I used the Luminance and Color sliders. ACR can post process jpeg files quite well.

As for how the E-30 compares to Nikon or Canon dslrs', that I don't know as I don't own any to be able to make direct comparisons or any claims. I was referencing the output of the E-510 and my earlier experience with the E-500 as it compared to the E-30. My satisfaction with the results from the newer, E-30 is based on my spending a lot less time 'cleaning up' an image during post processing, when forced to use a high ISO setting.

I typically shoot early in the morning and late afternoon and find that I'm usually starting out somewhere at ISO1250 and working my way down to 400 as the light improves.
I generally don't go above 1250. But, on occasion have shot at 1600 and 2000. I'll see if I can find some of those images and when I do, I'll post them.

Zig
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:15 PM   #7

Hi Guys,
Thanks to you all for the kind comments...Just wanted to show that you can stray above ISO800 and come up with decent results. To be fair, these are not
out of the camera jpegs, I have adjusted the white balance, clarity, and exposure. My bird feeder set up poses a lot of backlighting issues that I can generally correct with a little fill light slider adjustment.

To be fair to the E-30, if the camera was in more capable hands, those adjustments might not be needed because the camera settings would be properly set.

Zig
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:56 AM   #8

They look pretty good to me Zig. I have the 510 my first oly dslr so I can't compare it with others but I spend quite a bit of time in photoshop because I shoot a lot in fading light at the end of the day. Trying to balance ISO with aperature and shutter using the 70 300 is not easy at that time of day. Even though I use a tripod the shutter speed at 1/30 is tough on small birds. If I take the ISO to 4 or 800 I'm not happy with the quality and at 1 or 200 I have to drop the shutter so low I miss a lot of shots to blur. So I end up in photoshop playing with Shadow adjustment, brightness, exposure, etc, because the shots are to dark. Of course the 70 300 which I dearly love just doesn't shine under low light but you're right the 510 is ISO limited to 400 or below in low light.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
So I end up in photoshop playing with Shadow adjustment, brightness, exposure, etc, because the shots are to dark. Of course the 70 300 which I dearly love just doesn't shine under low light but you're right the 510 is ISO limited to 400 or below in low light.
Hi Eric,

Don't know the version of Photoshop you have but you might want to look at Adobe's Camera Raw software plug-in and see if it's compatible with your version. ACR has the ability to adjust jpegs and it's quite a versatile tool.I've been using it on almost all my images.. The slider adjustments IMO, give you a greater level of control and finer adjustments than I was able to attain with PSE8.

Proper credit should go to Greg Chappell who has mentioned Adobe's ACR a number of times in recent posts. After reviewing his posts, I downloaded the free plug-in and have been using it since.

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 7, 2010 at 8:32 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:21 AM   #10

Thanks Zig I'll check it out
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote